Shimano Bottom Bracket Removal Advice Please (BB-ES25) Secteur Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
My Secteur has only covered just over 900 dry miles. I have decided to remove the cranks, pedals and bottom bracket as it is making a really bad constant clicking noise when pedaling. I have removed a crank before to put a smaller inner chain ring on it and found it fairly straight forward. I just wondered if anybody could help me out with removing the bottom bracket. The BB is a Shimano BB-ES25 cartridge type Octalink. Looking at the Shimano tech doc it has a main body with threads on one side, then an adaptor (as they call it) with threads that hold it in the other side. I am guessing that when removing the BB it is the reverse of what Shimano suggest in fitting it, i.e the adaptor is removed first then the main body. I just wondered which side of the bike will the adaptor side be fitted drive or non-drive? Or could it be either. Are the threads on both the drive and non-drive side the same as regular ones as in the way that they are undone by rotating anti-clockwise? When re-fitting is it best to use anti-seize copper slip on the threads or PTFE tape, or will either do the same thing?
Thanks for any advice.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
For non-drive side, remove by turning anti-clockwise. For drive side, turn clockwise to remove. When refitting, definitely use something like copper slip, but I wouldn't use PTFE tape (to my mind it would be jamming the fine threads of the bottom bracket shell making it difficult to get the bb in properly). If your BB has a plastic adapter remove the BB first, then the adapter. If the adapter is metal then remove the left hand side first regardless of whether it is the adapter or the BB.

potsy

Rambler
I did the same BB a while ago on my Secteur, was a fairly straightforward job even for a novice like me :thumbsup:
(ignores the fact I bought the wrong size one) :blush:

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Thanks for the replies, maybe I should just buy a BB and replace it as it was only about £12, just thought it had not done many miles so was maybe worth looking elsewhere first.

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's probably worth tightening up the chainring bolts. I was convinced my BB had gone and replaced it only to find that the noise was caused by the chainring bolts. It was a constant clicking when pedalling and was driving me mad.

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Cheers Martin I will make sure that I check those too.

Thomk

Guru
It's probably worth tightening up the chainring bolts. I was convinced my BB had gone and replaced it only to find that the noise was caused by the chainring bolts. It was a constant clicking when pedalling and was driving me mad.
Yep. Replaced my BB a couple of weeks ago to find the clicking and creaking still there. Turned out to be the pedals which needed removing and greasing.

Top Bottom