Shimano BR1050 spares

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sugars Daddy

Evenin' all!

Does anyone know where I might find a cable attachment bolt for a 105 model BR1050 caliper?
I've searched the web for hours and come up blank. Starting to look as though it'll have to be a new caliper, which goes against my mean gene!

Any (polite) suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
SD

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Not sure which but you mean. Can you post a quick picture and I may have a but it give you a suggestion.

OP
OP
S

Sugars Daddy

Hi Tony, thanks for responding.

I think my newbie status will prevent me from adding a picture.

It's a Shimano 105 front brake from the mid-late eighties (I believe) with the model number BR1050 stamped on the back. The bolt in question is a round-headed hex taking a 5mm key. The threaded portion is 8mm in length and approximately 4mm in diameter (eyesight prevents greater accuracy!)

Any of that make sense?

SD

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Is it the bolt that clamps the brake wire tight? If it is I got one from my local LBS that they had in their spares box. Failing that I'm pretty sure it's a standard thread so the correct M size bolt would fit. I will ask the prospective father in law what size he thinks it is.

If I'm down by recycle your bike in the next few days I'll ask if they have one as well.

OP
OP
S

Sugars Daddy

Thanks Tony,

I understand it's an M5 thread. Unusually for an M5 bolt, it takes a 5mm hex key.

As the closest fit I can get is slightly too long, therefore needing a washer or two, and taking a 4mm key, would still be keen to find the original item. If the shop does have one (or two) I'd be most grateful if you could give me their contact details.

Once again, many thanks for your assistance.

Simon

raleighnut

Legendary Member
One of these
26583.jpg

50p from SJS cycles

OP
OP
S

Sugars Daddy

Thanks Raleighnut,
Amusingly, I had ordered a similar-looking item from them which turned out to be too large. When I mailed them to ask if they had similar but smaller, their response was that the caliper was too old for there to be specs available from Shimano and no spares were available. Unfortunately the way I had searched on the website hadn't shown the full range of cable bolts. Very few of those I did see gave thread sizes. Now I know...

Many thanks guys for your help on this.

Kind regards

Simon

Top Bottom