Shimano brake pads extremely tight in shoes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just fitted new original Shimano pads in some Ultegra brakes I bought on Eblag and they were tighter than a tight thing - went in with a huge effort and looked as if they were about to burst out again, especially the short section of the pad after the recess for the holding screw. If they don't conform to the shoes over the next year or so I'm going to have a hell of a struggle removing them. They were the same pads I fitted without too much effort in the shoes on my 105 brakes. Is this normal?

AlanW

Guru
Globalti said:
Just fitted new original Shimano pads in some Ultegra brakes I bought on Eblag and they were tighter than a tight thing - went in with a huge effort and looked as if they were about to burst out again, especially the short section of the pad after the recess for the holding screw. If they don't conform to the shoes over the next year or so I'm going to have a hell of a struggle removing them. They were the same pads I fitted without too much effort in the shoes on my 105 brakes. Is this normal?

You might think that I am taking the pi55, but I'm not......but you are fitting the left hand side brake block to the left hand side carrier aren't you?

Its an easy mistake to make as the curve is very shallow and it is possible to fit the left side in the right carrier, even if it is tight. ;)

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hello Alan, yes, I checked that! They went in but I had to use saliva on one - maybe a bit of talc would have helped - never thought of that. I expect the rubber will "imprint" and settle over the next few months making them easier to remove.

I'm enjoying the wheels by the way! They are good up hills.

NickM

Veteran
Globalti said:
...I had to use saliva on one...
Washing up liquid works for me. They are tight, in my experience.

As for getting old blocks out, I remove the pad holders from the brake, take out the grub screw, position what's left of the brake block on the edge of the vice jaw and tap the holder off with a small hammer.

MartinC

Über Member
Yes, they are tight. As others have said lubrication helps (as the actress said to the bishop). Sometimes I help them in with a big pair of Stilsons.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I took them out this evening and covered them in talc and they slipped back in smooth and easy as anything. And I'm always on CC preaching the benefits of talc as a rubber lubricant for tyre fitting!

Top Bottom