Shimano cantilevers BR-M737

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
Can anyone help with a scan or pointer online to the installation/maintenance document for the Shimano cantilevers BR-M737 circa 1994 please?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Couldn’t find your type on the shimano web site, but found this could be the sameclicky here

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Couldn’t find your type on the shimano web site, but found this could be the sameclicky here

Thank you. However the M737 is a Deore XT range and has a button rather than the yoke shown. I am surprised that the Shimano web site doesn't contain an archive of the older stuff.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hope this can help.

BR-M737_1994.gif

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

That's the one. Thank you. Is there an installation sheet by any chance? I'm having difficulty setting up the front set.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You are welcome. Unfortunately I do not have the installation sheet, they stopped making this model in 1998.

However the late great Sheldon has written up on canti adjustment generally.

If you are encountering specific problems that does not address, you can perhaps raise it here? Chance is someone experienced will come along with the solution. Good luck!

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Thanks again. Yes, I'd read Sheldon's article before posting. My problem is centring the cantilever. I have taken the components off, cleaned and greased them according to the article. One problem I can see is that the adjustment screw on the left arm moves freely alright but doesn't appear to do anything. There doesn't seem to be anything I can service there to make it work. What does it actually do?

Grasen

if it is no. 8 you are talking about then it is for centering the brakes by tightening or loosening the spring no. 2

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Thanks, yes I realise that but when I screw it in or out there is no perceptible difference in the centring.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Can I assume you have tried inserting the left leg (on the diagram, but it is nearly always the longer leg if they aren't the same) of spring 2 on to the different holes (1 of 3) of the pivot stud (shown under and closest to item 10) on the bike? Adjustment may feel loose when the spring is in one of the holes, it shouldn't be for all 3.

Secondly, since you are talking about the left hand one, I presume the right hand one is ok? If so have you compared the left and right hand parts, calipers and springs, are they symmetrical and rotating smoothly? Finally, are the pivotal studs on the bike symmetrical without damage? Sometimes one or other of these parts gets damaged/bent.

Top Bottom