Shimano cassette, Campagnolo everything else

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Bonjour
Is this possible to put a shimano rear cassette on to a xenon set up? i know most stuff between the two isnt interchangeable due to the different way they do things, but is it possible as my dad just puchased some new wheels and is insistent its possible.

Just need clarification really?

Ryan

Grasen

Bonjour
Is this possible to put a shimano rear cassette on to a xenon set up? i know most stuff between the two isnt interchangeable due to the different way they do things, but is it possible as my dad just puchased some new wheels and is insistent its possible.

Ryan

yes you can use a shimano wheel on a campagnolo bike.
the shifting will be terrible

if you want it to work properly you will have to change the spacers between the cogs.

OP
OP
RyanW

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
so would that be the best option, or do i buy a campy spaced shimano cassette, or simply a campy cassette to put on it? i read something about needing to convert the wheels. They are shimano R500's.

Thanks for all the help

Ryan

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Bonjour

Ryan
My LBS reckon they have had a Campag system shift well with a Shimano 10 speed casette. Several people on Bikeradar are running this set up.

MartinC

Über Member
It may shift well enough for you - try it and see. It'll be better if you set the indexing on one of the middle sprockets to minimise the imprecision at either end of the cassette.

Ambrosio and at least one other manaufacturer make 10 speed cassettes with Campag spacing to fit on Shimano splined hubs (you can't put a C cassette on an S hub or vice versa). Surosa and Byercycles amongst others stock these.

JTek Engineering make various Shiftmates that allow rear mechs to index properly in incompatible set ups.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Whether it works depends on the specifics.

OP
OP
RyanW

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Why buy wheels which won't work with the correct drivetrain in the first place?

I didn't , its not my set-up its someone else, IE my ebay mad dad. he bids first and asks questions later.

In his defence the person he purchased them from said it would work perfectly and he didn't know otherwise. At least there are options.

mercurykev

You can run a 8 or 9 speed shimano cassette with 10 speed Campag shifters but you need to to use a shimano rear mech too - it's called Shimergo. Failing that you can buy a device called a Shiftmate which makes strange cassette/rearmech combinations work.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, as I said, get the Campag-spaced, Shimano splined cassette from Byercycles and job's a good un.
Anything else is letting yourself in for a whole world of not-quite-working-mostly.

Top Bottom