Shimano Crankset recall: bonded Hollowtech ones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru

Shimano Recalls Cranksets for Bicycles Due to Crash Hazard​

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Shimano-Recalls-Cranksets-for-Bicycles-Due-to-Crash-Hazard
produced before July 2019 for a possible bonding separation issue.
Affects Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series, and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series: applicable model numbers are ULTEGRA FC-6800, FC-R8000, DURA-ACE FC-9000, FC-R9100 and FC-R9100-P.
Europe: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/info...owtech-road-cranksets-inspection-program.html
Should have stuck with square taper.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm going to be busy ... pretty much all of my bikes have these cranksets. Son no. 2's are the same. Plus spare cranksets we've acquired.

It only affects ones with the following production codes though:

A production code is stamped on the inside of the crank arm near the bottom of the arm. The affected models are pre-July 2019 production and have one of the following two-letter production codes on back side of the crank arm where the pedals are attached: KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.

1695236586965.png

Having checked I have seven affected bikes and three spare cranksets - all have the codes above. I'm guessing almost all of son no. 2's bikes will be affected as they're older 6800/8000/9000 cranksets apart from his Ridley Noah (dated 2021) and Cervelo (Rotor crankset).

Only my vintage bikes (Woodrup, Raleigh Pioneer, Dawes Kingpin, 1982 Raleigh/Guerciotti thing) and the track bikes aren't affected.

Having spent the past year upgrading the cranksets on most of my bikes I've now found that they're all subject to the recall and inspection :blink:

This'll be my car en route to having them inspected:

4lvO5Ub.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
USA text: Consumers (f***ing "consumers"! - call them cyclists perlease) should immediately stop using the cranksets manufactured before July 1, 2019, and contact an authorized Shimano dealer to schedule a free crankset inspection. Only consumers whose cranksets show signs of bonding separation or delamination during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset and installation.
Incidents/Injuries: Shimano US has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets separating, and six reported injuries, including bone fractures, joint displacement and lacerations.
Sold at bicycle stores USA-wide from January 2012 through August 2023 for between $270 and $1,500.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Only consumers whose cranksets show signs of bonding separation or delamination during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset and installation.
I've not read the recall announcements, but that sounds like @DCLane's 3 spare cranksets would be out of scope for replacement (I'm assuming they are boxed and unused)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Happened to a friend of mine last November. He still has the failed crank that he replaced at his own expense so I've suggested he follows this up with Shimano now they are accepting responsibility at last.

I wouldn't mind but he looks after his bikes and is a bit of a lightweight and certainly not a power monster so no excuse for his crank to fail this way.

13 rider

Guru
I'm one of the 4000 odd . Mine failed in June 2021 took until Dec 22 to get a replacement hope they now have a massive stock

13 rider

Guru
Happened to a friend of mine last November. He still has the failed crank that he replaced at his own expense so I've suggested he follows this up with Shimano now they are accepting responsibility at last.

I wouldn't mind but he looks after his bikes and is a bit of a lightweight and certainly not a power monster so no excuse for his crank to fail this way.
Mine was replaced under warranty no questions asked just took ages due to part shortage and Shimano shifting to manufacturing 12 sp

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
About bloody time tbh; considering how long knowledge of these failures has been in the public domain. At least Shimano are finally stepping up and doing something about it.

Slightly smug that the R7000 105 on my CdF (which is of similar construction) has been apparently confirmed as unaffected by these issues; as has always seemed the case from complaints online.

I wonder what they'll be replacing them with, now that all of the affected groupsets have now been superceded by 12sp offerings..?

Red17

Veteran
Just checked my road bike and mine is on the list.

It's also got a Stages power meter on an ultrgra crank. Not sure who if anyone will cover that.

Top Bottom