Shimano Crankset recall: bonded Hollowtech ones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
About bloody time tbh; considering how long knowledge of these failures has been in the public domain. At least Shimano are finally stepping up and doing something about it.

Slightly smug that the R7000 105 on my CdF (which is of similar construction) has been apparently confirmed as unaffected by these issues; as has always seemed the case from complaints online.

I wonder what they'll be replacing them with, now that all of the affected groupsets have now been superceded by 12sp offerings..?

105 is OK as it's not quite as stupid a design.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
105 is OK as it's not quite as stupid a design.

No; I recall I did once know the differences but now forget. Do you have any more info?

wafter

Just checked my road bike and mine is on the list.

It's also got a Stages power meter on an ultrgra crank. Not sure who if anyone will cover that.

Is it on the NDS crank arm as usual with one-sided efforts? If so you might be able to retain this arm and just get the DS setup replaced..

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Happened to a friend of mine last November. He still has the failed crank that he replaced at his own expense so I've suggested he follows this up with Shimano now they are accepting responsibility at last.

I wouldn't mind but he looks after his bikes and is a bit of a lightweight and certainly not a power monster so no excuse for his crank to fail this way.

Hang on a minute....you've got friends?

wafter

I think 105 cranks basically has cut outs, not two bits of alloy bonded together.
Thanks - although I can't see how you could make it without bonding bits together in some way.. I assume it's some difference in the bond interfaces - more surface area perhaps.
Could do that, but would potentially be left with a suspect power meter arm.
I'm not sure that the NDS arms were affected; IIRC it's only the DS, but I can see your point. Better than nowt though as I very much doubt they're going to offer to transfer the strain gauge to the new one :tongue:

As an aside I found this on Bike Radar: "Shimano recalls 760,000 Hollowtech road cranks due to 4,519 incidents of ‘separation or delamination"

Pretty shocking numbers if six percent of these have failed that they know of.

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
I found this on Bike Radar: "Shimano recalls 760,000 Hollowtech road cranks due to 4,519 incidents of ‘separation or delamination"

Pretty shocking numbers if six percent of these have failed that they know of.
See my Post #3 above. This is the number of reported incidents in the USA (well the figure Shimano USA are giving). Hambini year old video worth watching to understand the likely failure mechanism.
But this isn't a 'recall': it's an inspect and replace if glued surfaces are failing 'offer'.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Call me slow, but I just realised. I've got a 2017 bike with 11spd Ultegra. I am a 90kg powerhouse so maybe should check my serial numbers ......

13 rider

Guru
Could do that, but would potentially be left with a suspect power meter arm.
As far as Im aware the failures have always been on the drive side as was mine , I also had a stages power NDS crank which I kept but shimano supplied a complete crankset so I kept the other crank as a spare

13 rider

Guru
Yep, I'm in the recall program, code OF on my cranks. Not sure I can be bothered, might just do my own inspection first and decide then.
I regularly clean my bike and never spotted any issue before a creak started and the crank spider started splitting . If the recall is a free exchange I would advise everyone to do it

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Be quick peeps: supplies of replacements are severely limited. There's probably 2 million+ of these 'recall' chainsets in use.
Once you've had the inspection and confirmation it's toast, are you going to climb on that chainset?
Have a standby solution in place.

faster

Über Member
Thanks - although I can't see how you could make it without bonding bits together in some way.. I assume it's some difference in the bond interfaces - more surface area perhaps.

The 105 cranks of this vintage (5800) aren't glued at all. I believe the square section of the crank arm is a one piece extrusion and the end is forged over to close it off. Presumably the 'spider' bit of the crank is solid, where in 6800 the two piece design allows for more of the crank to be hollow.

Tiagra and below were solid with the back side of the arm scalloped out

I'm affected - I have a set marked MC. I'm sure mine will be fine as whilst I'm heavy and relatively powerful, I pretty much never stand, so surely the peak force going through the cranks will be low compared to many.

I'll still get mine checked, as this will ensure that if I have a problem after they've been checked, Shimano will almost certainly have a big problem on their hands.

In some ways this doesn't feel very well thought out. Surely any Shimano dealer who inspects and passes any of these cranks is exposing themselves to an awful lot of risk?

Top Bottom