Shimano Crankset recall: bonded Hollowtech ones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Over the past year I've swapped over both my Ultegra cranksets to Spa's cranksets.
Good thing too by the look of it

Yeah, makes me immensely smug that I have 105 rather than anything "higher end" - the same for all intents and purposes, but a lot cheaper and safer. Not that I can claim this was anything more than an accident, of course.

I wonder what changed in 2019 to prevent the later cranksets failing... perhaps a change from the original bonding to the "welding" that was used from the off in the 105 units..?

Domus

Guru
Mine is on the list. It is the bike I keep in the caravan in Sunny Grange. Will contact Wheelbase over the weekend.

13 rider

Guru

View: https://youtu.be/HZLc3Ml4TXQ?si=zTr9aDO7Zl32iQo6

You tube video about the inspection process ,
Note it's not a one time pass or fail it could visually pass at this time and still fail ! At a later date
I've realised that although I've had my crankset was replaced so is not on the recall list my nds power meter crank is under the recall , So a visit to the bike shop is required at least I now know Shimano are coughing up for the inspection

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Do you have to remove the crankset from the bike for it to be inspected by the dealer, or do you take the complete bike?

Top Bottom