Shimano Crankset recall: bonded Hollowtech ones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It is possible for there to be no problem with the design and still get large numbers of failures. It could be that the assembly procedure is no sufficiently well specified and/or controlled. It could be that the glue specification is not suitable for some use situations, or that the wrong glue was being used. It could be that a certain finish was specified for the contact surfaces but the parts supplied didn't achieve it, and so on. We just don't know enough and Shimano will most likely obfuscate in order to hide what really happened.

Fair points, although probably more to do with semantics than principle. The bottom line is that these products have been in service for years, over which time a significant amount of potentially very dangerous failures have been well documented in the public domain (and presumably this coverage has also reached Shimano - directly or otherwise) and it's taken them this long to issue some form of remedial action following years of "la la la fingers in ears not listinging all's fine don't know what you're talking about mate".

I don't think they've done themselves any favours re. the difference between advice in the US ("cease using") and everywhere else ("crack on, we'll take a look and if it doesn't appear shafted crack on; having signed away your rights should the unit fail in future").

Tbh as a generally paid-up Shimano fanboy I'm disappointed by this outcome / the way this has been handled and tbh expected far better of the company.

Jameshow

Veteran
Could it be that these performance cranks are being used in situations where they suffer greater corrosion than a race or Sunday best bike?

So that all weather use will prematurely cause corrosion to the crank, where as a tiagra / 105 would be a better option?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Could it be that these performance cranks are being used in situations where they suffer greater corrosion than a race or Sunday best bike?
So that all weather use will prematurely cause corrosion to the crank, where as a tiagra / 105 would be a better option?
Is this a 'you shouldn't use plastic bikes in those conditions, they might melt/dissolve' type argument?
What sort of "situations" had you in mind? Riding along the beach tide line? Riding in the :rain: or :cold: winter?:wacko:

Jameshow

Veteran
Is this a 'you shouldn't use plastic bikes in those conditions, they might melt/dissolve' type argument?
What sort of "situations" had you in mind? Riding along the beach tide line? Riding in the :rain: or :cold: winter?:wacko:

Not at all but we all draw a line somewhere. I I'd ride a arbon bike but I wouldn't commute on carbon wheels tbh. Others might. Imo most race bikes are designed for everyday all weather riding.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
It was a question about cranks.

If i had such cranks, i would also like to know if degradation was likely from ingress of rain or winter road salts.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It was a question about cranks.

If i had such cranks, i would also like to know if degradation was likely from ingress of rain or winter road salts.

Indeed; speculation a long time ago suggested that this problem was precipated / accelerated by the presence of an electrolyte - water or even "better" salty water - promoting galvanic corrosion. Obviously this could be encountered in many circumstances - rain on the daily commute, regular washing of a dirty MTB, high ambient humidity..

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
i would also like to know if degradation was likely from ingress of rain or winter road salts.
Watch hambini's short video (link in my post above) which explains (his analysis a year ago) what was and has been causing these crank failures. Yes, to salty water.
If "all weather use will prematurely cause corrosion to the crank" and (too) often results in failure in such environment such cranks are unfit for purpose: full stop.
Edit to add two links (from an earlier post):
A 2020 Cycle Chat thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/strange-crank-failure.259268/page-2
Hambini (a year ago): View: https://youtu.be/-uK7FSZ6OFM

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
20210615_152733_025538.jpg

20210615_095631_025610.jpg

Was browsing my photo gallery and came across these . Small split started at the top of the spider and gradually got worse as I struggled back to my holiday let over some Welsh lumps around 8 miles of riding destroyed the crank . This was June 21 bike was new in Feb 19 these were replaced free under warranty but it took 18 months to get them due all Shimano supply issues post COVID .
Thinking back now I did have a mysterious intermittent clicking for a couple of weeks before complete failure but I never noticed anything a miss when I washed the bike pre holiday .
Luckily I was going to ride from Leicester to Shrewsbury and the family drive there but timing meant it didn't happen so this happen on the next ride so I could have been stuck somewhere between Leicester and Shrewsbury with the rest of the family on route

Jameshow

Veteran
View attachment 710353

View attachment 710354
Was browsing my photo gallery and came across these . Small split started at the top of the spider and gradually got worse as I struggled back to my holiday let over some Welsh lumps around 8 miles of riding destroyed the crank . This was June 21 bike was new in Feb 19 these were replaced free under warranty but it took 18 months to get them due all Shimano supply issues post COVID .
Thinking back now I did have a mysterious intermittent clicking for a couple of weeks before complete failure but I never noticed anything a miss when I washed the bike pre holiday .
Luckily I was going to ride from Leicester to Shrewsbury and the family drive there but timing meant it didn't happen so this happen on the next ride so I could have been stuck somewhere between Leicester and Shrewsbury with the rest of the family on route

Julie's cycles where is she based!!
Any other female named bike shops!
(Probably needs another thread!)

13 rider

Guru
My local giant dealer based in Leicester , didn't realised I've given them free advertising phone number just about reable , They were excellent in dealing with the issue and apologized every time I went in when they couldn't get the repkacement

ukbabz

Veteran
I've just been to my LBS with 2018 R8000 crank which has started creaking. They've agreed to send it for replacement so now I'm down a bike.

They were adamant they couldn't guarantee any time frame and would let me know when they did.

13 rider

Guru
I've just been to my LBS with 2018 R8000 crank which has started creaking. They've agreed to send it for replacement so now I'm down a bike.

They were adamant they couldn't guarantee any time frame and would let me know when they did.
Yep any doubt get it changed , bummer about losing the bike for a while , I think the LBS hands are tied waiting for the Shimano supply chain , you would hope they would have a decent stock as they must be expecting a few failures

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well just whip out the BB and install a square taper (<£20) and a double from Spa Cycles and you're no longer 'down a bike'.
Or this with your current BB: https://www.bikebargains.co.uk/shimano-fc-rs510-11-speed-double-chainset/

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

The original Goretex jackets in the 1970s failed because the membrane couldn’t handle sweat. You’d be surprised what get released after so called testing where they clearly didn’t consider real world conditions.

Jameshow

Veteran
My local giant dealer based in Leicester , didn't realised I've given them free advertising phone number just about reable , They were excellent in dealing with the issue and apologized every time I went in when they couldn't get the repkacement

Do we get a discount?!🤣🤔🤣

Top Bottom