Shimano Crankset recall: bonded Hollowtech ones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squirrel Chaser

So does my set of XT hollowtec 11 cranks come into this .
Can't remember how old they are

Scrap that I've just read the post properly 😕

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Shimano probably started making the hollow cranksets when the carbon chainsets appeared. I have had Zipp and Stronglight chainsets delaminated and chainring bolt holes snap. Shimano was just trying to get the weight down to be competitive in the racing market. The only carbon chainsets that has stood the test of time is Campag record.

Chislenko

Veteran
I've just been to my LBS with 2018 R8000 crank which has started creaking. They've agreed to send it for replacement so now I'm down a bike.

They were adamant they couldn't guarantee any time frame and would let me know when they did.

What is the process then ukbabz, do they for want of a better word "confiscate" your existing cranks while you wait for new ones or do they give them you back until the replacement ones arrive?

ukbabz

Veteran
What is the process then ukbabz, do they for want of a better word "confiscate" your existing cranks while you wait for new ones or do they give them you back until the replacement ones arrive?

Yeah they had to send it back, so they removed the crank and returned to shimano and gave me the bike back.

I happened to find an ultegra r8000 crank on ebay that isn't part of the recall for £41 so should be back on the road by the end of the week. I'll update when I hear from shimano!

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
It is a tempting to pick up a second hand 105 one on eBay to be honest!

This is what Hambini did: went to 105 cranksets.
His assessment of the recall:

View: https://youtu.be/XwwwEc0hHYI

Also points out that bike cleaners (eg Muc-off) that have salt in them helps the galvanic corrosion along.
If I had such a crankset, I'd stop using and replace it yourself, and dump the crankset in a bucket of salty water. Then once it's failing (galvanic corrosion) get it inspected and replaced with one fit for purpose.

C R

Guru
This is what Hambini did: went to 105 cranksets.
His assessment of the recall:

View: https://youtu.be/XwwwEc0hHYI

Also points out that bike cleaners (eg Muc-off) that have salt in them helps the galvanic corrosion along.
If I had such a crankset, I'd stop using and replace it yourself, and dump the crankset in a bucket of salty water. Then once it's failing (galvanic corrosion) get it inspected and replaced with one fit for purpose.

It isn't clear to me why galvanic corrosion isn't an issue in 105 cranks. They still have steel and aluminium. Also, wouldn't galvanic corrosion be worse where the aluminium and steel are in contact?

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
He covers that: he says the 105 cranksets are welded (I am no expert) as opposed to glued. See @4:20 in the recent video.
Also another video (from 2 years ago) suggests that the 105 are 'forged' (clip below).
Other analysts have suggested other failure mechanisms (residual vapour and thermal cycling, meniscus ingress).
Wrt 'worse': no, provided the electrolyte is available all the aluminium is vulnerable to corrosion. But the corrosion only 'matters' where it affects the metal to metal (both Al) interfaces slowly making adhesion weaker to the point that the stresses in the crank cause spider body then arm separation.
1698057684349.png

Be dead careful if you buy a second hand Shimano 11sp crankset. The seller may have no idea. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
Assuming the worst (mine is due for checking next Monday) is a 105 the same length as an Ultegra?

i.e. Is a straight swop into a PF86?

C R

Guru
He covers that: he says the 105 cranksets are welded (I am no expert) as opposed to glued. See @4:20 in the recent video.

I saw that, and that's why I was confused.From my understanding of galvanic corrosion, welding would be worse, as there's electrical contact between the two metals guaranteed.

C R

Guru
I saw that, and that's why I was confused.From my understanding of galvanic corrosion, welding would be worse, as there's electrical contact between the two metals guaranteed.

My wife knows a bit about galvanic corrosion, as she is a materials scientist. She confirms that corrosion happens where the two dissimilar materials are in contact, and welding would be worse than bonding, because the glue stops the electrical contact. So, if the issue was anything to do with galvanic corrosion what you would expect to see is the crank arm detaching from the spindle, not the sort of debonding reported.

The more I watch of his videos, the less impressed I am with his knowledge.

Top Bottom