Shimano Flightdeck - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Just wondering - I have a Sigma BC1606L all ready to be fitted to the new bike (when it arrives) but noticed on reading the specs that the levers are flight deck compatible (they're Tiagra, 9 speed).

Is the Shimano computer any good, and is there much advantage in using the flight deck stuff?

Tynan

Veteran
this the one that tells you what gear you're in?

redfox

Tynan said:
this the one that tells you what gear you're in?

Indeed, although that's not its only purpose. :tongue:

I have one if only because I like gadgets and the LBS said 'want us to fit this?' when building my bike.

Its a pretty good computer and, because it does know what gear you are in, can offer advice like current and avg cadence if you are into that sort of thing.

I'm not, which is handy; cos it has no idea that you are actually free-wheeling downhill rather than spinning at 200 rpm.

Blue

Legendary Member
I have one and I won't be buying another when it gives up the ghost.

I wouldn't get the wireless model as mine is prone to sticking - I presume because of interference as it seems to happen at the same places along my regular rides.

The buttons are easy to press by accident as you move your hands around the hoods, which can stop the measurements.

You have to flick through too many screens to retrieve all the data you may want as you ride along.

There are other things, but I'm sure you get the drift - I think they are useless

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just to clarify that the Flightdeck works out an effective cadence based on the gear you're in and your speed. It doesn't use a dedicated cadence sensor.

bonj2

i've got a sigma bc1606L and flight-deck shifters, but (what i presume was) the flight-deck wire got rucked up when i was fitting the shifters so I cut it out. Just one more thing to not work as it should and require fixing, and one more length of fiddly cables! Shimano computer won't have backlight either which the sigma does.

I have a wireless Flightdeck setup. I like the fact that I can change the data display from the shifters and that the only senser is on the front wheel (cadence is calculated from the gear and speed). The computer is neat and the disply is easy to read. You can also transfer it between 4 bikes.

But I will not replace it when it dies. Switching between displays is definitely harder than it should be and just doesn't seem intutitive. Seeing what gear you are in is pretty useless when you have been riding for more than a week - you either know or a quick look down and back to the right tells you!

Mine was £80 all in (wireless mounting and 10 speed computer) when all I really needed was speed, distance travelled and odometer. Felt a little ripped off.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
i've got a sigma bc1606L and flight-deck shifters, but (what i presume was) the flight-deck wire got rucked up when i was fitting the shifters so I cut it out. Just one more thing to not work as it should and require fixing, and one more length of fiddly cables! Shimano computer won't have backlight either which the sigma does.

yep, i did that too.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks all - I quite like the idea of being able to activate/deactivate it from the levers, but it sounds like it's not worth shelling out for when I already have the sigma.

halo

I think FlightDeck is exceptional! It's the only wireless system I could get to work in my area - others kept giving wierd readings in certain "hot spots". The virtual cadence is good and the gear indication excellent - you don't have to consciously think about shifting up or down to minimise chain/cassette/ring wear - maybe not too bad on a double - but if you ride triple it must be a god-send.

Top Bottom