Shimano for everyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

girofan

Has anyone else noticed or is it just me, that every new bike advertised in the cycling press is equipped almost exclusively with Shimano?
It seems to me that the cycle retailers make a bigger profit from kitting out bikes in Shimano rather than Campag and that is why we have a surfet of the Far East product.
What do you think?

Mr Pig

I only look at MTBs but to be honest I think they're pretty mixed. My bike is totally Simano and that stands out as being unusual. All of the other bikes I looked at were mixed.

yenrod

No, some are available with Campag.

You must only seeing the shim equipped stuff.

Alot of Italian bikes are campag. as standard.

OP
OP
G

girofan

Yes yenrod, but the vast majority of machines are only ever offered with Shimano! The Italians are different in that they see a bike with anything other than Campag as unpatriotic.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My thinking is that it's far easier for an LBS to support Shimano equiped bikes than Campag, thus Shimano kitted frames are more in demand by retailers. Reasoning is simple... Compatability of Shimano accross bike types (Road/Hybrid/Tourer/MTB) and with other equipment manufacturers notably SRAM. Less kit to stock, less tooling. Whilst we the cycling 'Cognicenti' can argue the merits of Campagnolo vs Shimano/SRAM, the public knows the Shimano brand, and knows it works reliably until the day they bin their bike and get a new one.
Outside of road-bikes I bet nobody gives a tinkers about Campagnolo or their 'Heritage'.

Tynan

Veteran
condor offer shimano and campag but push the campag if you ask for an opinion

10 speed and easier upgrades and interchangeability (if that's a word)

Top Bottom