Shimano Front Derailleur Sticky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hi there

My front Shimano Tiagra x2 Derailleur just won't adjust to a point where I can get the bigger chainring AND the smaller chainring to work.

Either I get the cable tension and adjustment right for the bigger, and it won't ping back to the smaller, or I get it adjusted for the smaller ring and it won't shift to the bigger ring.

I understand the screw limiters and adjusters - but I can not find the sweet spot.

I think it is sticking and corroded / dirty.

The cable is newish, but perhaps for £2 I will just replace this too. (Internal cabling ahhhH!!!!)

Should I take it off and give it a good clean, or just buy a new mech ?

Big John

Guru
If it once worked and it's not working now then I'd take it off and clean it. Spray to death with GT85. Install new stainless steel cable. Make sure the mech is re-installed in the correct position on the frame (see YouTube if you're not sure). Push the mech by hand to make sure it's going to cover both rings. Click the shifter to make sure it's in the small ring position. Attach cable. If in doubt watch YouTube for how to use the adjustment screws. When it's clean and lubricated there's no reason why it shouldn't work like it used to.

Alex321

Veteran
Hi there

My front Shimano Tiagra x2 Derailleur just won't adjust to a point where I can get the bigger chainring AND the smaller chainring to work.

Either I get the cable tension and adjustment right for the bigger, and it won't ping back to the smaller, or I get it adjusted for the smaller ring and it won't shift to the bigger ring.

I understand the screw limiters and adjusters - but I can not find the sweet spot.

I think it is sticking and corroded / dirty.

The cable is newish, but perhaps for £2 I will just replace this too. (Internal cabling ahhhH!!!!)

Should I take it off and give it a good clean, or just buy a new mech ?

Check the hole where it comes out of the frame. That can get clogged causing the cable to stick.

Reactions: C R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Probably the thing that's least likely to fix your problem is a new derailleur - they're pretty robust.

Cable friction is perhaps the most likely. I would suggest disconnecting the cable at the derailleur and pulling the cable from the shifter end, see if it moves freely. If not, find where it the problem is.

Other possibilities that occur:
- incorrect cable routing at the derailleur. Often there's a right and a wrong way to route the cable in - look at the manual for the specific model.
- incorrect fixing, either rotated or too high/low

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Probably the thing that's least likely to fix your problem is a new derailleur - they're pretty robust.

Cable friction is perhaps the most likely. I would suggest disconnecting the cable at the derailleur and pulling the cable from the shifter end, see if it moves freely. If not, find where it the problem is.

Other possibilities that occur:
- incorrect cable routing at the derailleur. Often there's a right and a wrong way to route the cable in - look at the manual for the specific model.
- incorrect fixing, either rotated or too high/low

I think you are right, I will swap out the cable. Cheers

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This may be a daft question, but you haven’t changed the bottom bracket recently have you? Front Derailleurs are designed to work ideally with certain chain lines. If the rings are outside or on the margins of that chain line then you may have the difficulties you describe.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

This may be a daft question, but you haven’t changed the bottom bracket recently have you? Front Derailleurs are designed to work ideally with certain chain lines. If the rings are outside or on the margins of that chain line then you may have the difficulties you describe.

I have the stupid press fit type so the BB is flush to the frame. thanks anyways

Cycleops

Legendary Member
When putting the cable in grease it and check the Hi-Lo movement by hand before connecting it.

Top Bottom