shimano gears - shoot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

GrumpyGreg said:
shimano stuff is shite - must be why so many cyclists use it, even some pro's

a large percentage of the computer users in the world including many pros run vista, doesn't mean it's any good xx(

02GF74

Über Member
Rigid Raider said:
Don't some Shimano derailleurs have an adjustment screw, which enables you to increase the spring tension? It's a big wide screw that turns an eccentric post at one end of the main spring.

I know what you mean - I have seen that I am sure, ther is some hex sickets with slot .... but don't think this one had one.

Too lant now at it's been binned - the pivots are really sloppy and the thread on the adjuster had gone, 10 + years on the daily commuter through mud and other shite had taken its toll.

Bigtwin

Shimano is OK as a temp measure on a MTB if you can't get SRAM, and on a road bike if you can't get Campy.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
ah yeah, I got it from evans so it must be.

Thats where your problem is.
Remember that guy when you were trying to sell a saddle on here saying that his mate got one for £20 from Evans.
All adds up;):ohmy:

briank

Bigtwin said:
Shimano is OK as a temp measure on a MTB if you can't get SRAM, and on a road bike if you can't get Campy.

Bought a 8-speed Dura Ace groupset when Sti first came out - 17 years ago. It's been on the winter training bike for the last 8 years, so not as many miles but in horrible conditions. Total mileage I'd guess at about 40,000.

Still on original Sti levers and deraillers- (yes, even original jockey wheels)

I suppose you'll tell me Record would be barely bedded in.:ohmy:

Bigtwin

briank said:
Bought a 8-speed Dura Ace groupset when Sti first came out - 17 years ago. It's been on the winter training bike for the last 8 years, so not as many miles but in horrible conditions. Total mileage I'd guess at about 40,000.

I suppose you'll tell me Record would be barely bedded in.:ohmy:

Nope. 17 years ago Shimano stuff was well made.

briank

OK, I'd agree it seems better made than 9-speed stuff I've put on several other bikes since then - particularly in the construction of the brake calipers. But there have always, it seems, been people saying Shimano was crap, rather walk..etc It's a bit post hoc to be saying now, "Oh well it was all right back then, but now of course it's rubbish."
Anyway, who knows how long equipment made recently will last? Won't we have to wait and see?
I'd rather have a Ducati 916 than any Honda ever made, and I understand there are disappointed people on here, but I've seen some fairly shoddy Campag stuff too and wonder why it is the Shimano-trashing bandwagon comes round so regularly.
An element of Euro-centric snobbery?

Bigtwin

briank said:
It's a bit post hoc to be saying now, "Oh well it was all right back then, but now of course it's rubbish."

I'd rather have a Ducati 916 than any Honda ever made

Nope. Been using shim and campag for at least 15 years - and huret/stronglight/suntour/sachs before that. My personal belief if that Shimano quality has gone down as the price has rocketed. 10 years ago my trainer commuter was 105 and it was really good quality. Now it isn't I think. I have always preferred the operation of Campag, and feel it to be better made and more durable. I really couldn't give a fig what other people think - they can ride whatever they like, it makes not a jot of difference to me. I have though, seen bugger all people changing from Campy to Shim, all else being equal. Similarly, I've a MTB with X9 - it is, in my opinion, far better than the modern Shimano stuff. Which, by the way, is now absurdly expensive; it's better designed and better to use. But Shimano is like Windows. There are far better systems out there, but for some reason the defult setting is Shimano.

I've had (amounst others) a Duke, plus a 400/4, VFR and 2 x Africa Twins. Honda wins hands down for quality and durability.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
briank said:

I suppose you'll tell me Record would be barely bedded in.:evil:

7400 here too, but just as 8 speed was launched, 2 or so years before STI.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

briank said:
OK, I'd agree it seems better made than 9-speed stuff I've put on several other bikes since then - particularly in the construction of the brake calipers. But there have always, it seems, been people saying Shimano was crap, rather walk..etc It's a bit post hoc to be saying now, "Oh well it was all right back then, but now of course it's rubbish."
Anyway, who knows how long equipment made recently will last? Won't we have to wait and see?
I'd rather have a Ducati 916 than any Honda ever made, and I understand there are disappointed people on here, but I've seen some fairly shoddy Campag stuff too and wonder why it is the Shimano-trashing bandwagon comes round so regularly.
An element of Euro-centric snobbery?

I may be dissing shimano but i hope you're not lumping me in with the campag brigade, i wouldn't be seen dead with it! Very rarely trust italian engineering*. Also I get the impression that campag deliberately go out of their way to make their stuff non-compatible with shimano/sram - cassettes in particular if i'm not mistaken?

*Formula brakes on my mtb are an exception, they are superb, but only went for them after reading good reviews all over the place.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Italian engineering; my Laverda RGS Jota and Morini 3 1/2 never missed a beat in 10 years, my Cinquecento runs like a watch. My BMW R100RS and R80GS both used to break down with monotonous regularity and the only merc I owned had to have a new gearbox after 22k. But the Merc dealership did make real coffee.....

Bigtwin

bonj said:
Also I get the impression that campag deliberately go out of their way to make their stuff non-compatible with shimano/sram - cassettes in particular if i'm not mistaken?

Ahem - chicken/egg?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Bigtwin said:
Ahem - chicken/egg?

er... no, sram cassettes are compatible with shimano hubs, etc. 2 against 1.
It's like if there's two cars going one direction on a narrow country lane and only one in the opposite direction, and they can't get past, then the two have priority over the one. i.e. Campag should reverse.

beancounter

Bigtwin said:
I've had (amounst others) a Duke, plus a 400/4, VFR and 2 x Africa Twins. Honda wins hands down for quality and durability.

My 996 SPS hasn't missed a beat in 18000 miles since new and is just as nicely built and finished (if not better) than my VFR 800, which is very nice quality but a bit "plasticky".

I would concede that the Ducati costs rather more to run, though.

bc

Bigtwin

bonj said:
er... no, sram cassettes are compatible with shimano hubs, etc. 2 against 1.
It's like if there's two cars going one direction on a narrow country lane and only one in the opposite direction, and they can't get past, then the two have priority over the one. i.e. Campag should reverse.

Yawn. ShimaNo didn't make multi gear till the 50s - Campy had been at it a good while by then. Campy shared commonality with other systems at the time.

ShimaNo used a very aggressive patent protection regieme (477 patents to Campy's 45) to ensure that other manufacturers couldn't be compatible.

Campy's road - get out of way upstart.

Top Bottom