Shimano Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

spandex said:
you ask me to start afresh

and then you try and tell me that i sneered at you. You can even answer my qustions?

well, you did. What do you want me to do, grovel, and tell you how great you are?

Danny

Legendary Member
Guys, I think you ought to cool it, this exchange is getting a bit out of hand!

Personally I don't think Steve should have insulted Bonj for just venturing an opinion, even if it was not very well informed. He's got as much right to post in this section as anyone else - if you think what he says is wrong, you can say so politely.

While I accept that there is a difference between the various different sets of gears, I have seen plenty of similar threads which have effectively made the same point as Bonj.

RedBike

I've got an old dura-ace groupo on one bike and a new 105 on the other. Certain bits of the new 105 out perform the old Dura-ace; but in terms of build quality there nothing in it.

The dura-ace uses bearing where the 105 uses brushes, titanium instead of aluminum etc etc.

It's also probably worth pointing out that how the brakes/gears are setup and the state of your cables has a massive effect on how the brakes/gears feel.

monnet

Guru
If we're back talking about groupsets, I'll add my tuppence worth. In terms of performance the top end sets (Dura Ace and Record etc) really do take the biscuit and they're lighter. However, the lower top end stuff, if you know what I mean, is probably better value. ie: Campag Centaur is essentially 3 year old Record for a much more affordable price.

Top Velo noted about Shimano's groupsets that 105 is great with Dura Ace being obviously better but for signiicantly more cash. They also pointed out that for the difference between 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace in terms of price and weight (and kudos) there is really no sensible reason to buy Ultegra - spend mor on DA if you can, if not save yourself a few quid and get 105.

monnet

Guru
I should also point out from personal experience that the higher up the groupsets you go the better the brakes are. Which is why I ride 105 with Ultegra brakes (despite my posting above!)

Dannyg said:
While I accept that there is a difference between the various different sets of gears, I have seen plenty of similar threads which have effectively made the same point as Bonj.
Yup. Including Redbike and Monnet above.
Of course, not all of us are mechanical gods like others on here...:ohmy:

Top Bottom