Shimano Gripshift Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Macca85

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, just got back into cycling after the winter months are slowly getting a touch warmer. I've recently picked up a 2nd hand globetrotter mountain bike.

I've had it serviced by my local bike shop & swopped the tyres out for a hybrid set that I can use more on the road/bike trails etc. Its fitted with an old gearing system called gripshift, coupled to a shimano SIS rear derailer. Over the past few days i've had some issues with it, i'll change into 3rd gear but after a few minutes it'll downshift into 4th, same with 5th & 6th, 1st & 2nd seem to be fine.

Has anyone else had issues with it & know how to fix this please? I know gripshift was phased out years ago & it can apparently be a bit funny at times.

Thanks A Lot
Luke

wisdom

Guru
It could well be cable tension/indexing.
If it was recently serviced just pop back and explain the problem.They will have it sorted for you in no time.However it's simple to do just have a look on YouTube.
Oh and :welcome: to the forum.

Reactions: mjr
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, just got back into cycling after the winter months are slowly getting a touch warmer. I've recently picked up a 2nd hand globetrotter mountain bike.

I've had it serviced by my local bike shop & swopped the tyres out for a hybrid set that I can use more on the road/bike trails etc. Its fitted with an old gearing system called gripshift, coupled to a shimano SIS rear derailer. Over the past few days i've had some issues with it, i'll change into 3rd gear but after a few minutes it'll downshift into 4th, same with 5th & 6th, 1st & 2nd seem to be fine.

Has anyone else had issues with it & know how to fix this please? I know gripshift was phased out years ago & it can apparently be a bit funny at times.

Thanks A Lot
Luke

They are still available and quite cheap.

They can be a bit of a pain to change the cables, depending on the model but their simplicity normally makes them fairly trouble-free once set up with the correct tension.

Salar

A fish out of water
Quite easy to set up, as said above youtube is your friend.

I like gripshifts, not many do, I've retrofitted gripshifts to a couple of bikes as I have a habit of breaking thumbshifters.:blush:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
If it's shifting from 3rd to 4th on its own then the cable could be too slack. Where the cable meets the derailleur there should be an adjuster - turn it anti clockwise by half a turn (you may need to pull it outwards as you turn), ride, check, then repeat or revert if necessary.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've had a 7 speed Revoshifter on my touring bike for about a decade. After a few tweaks, I haven't touched it for at least six years. It just works.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't like them at all. I've scrapped a couple of such-equipped BSO's for spare parts and the grip shifters went straight in the bin along with the suspension frames..

OP
OP
Macca85

Macca85

Gripshift ain't the best but given a good tune up & well maintained it works nicely. Basic but good.

Had a new issue today though, somehow rather embarrassingly my left pedal managed to unscrew itself:blink: how the hell I don't know!:laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You've obviously got too much money spare to waste perfectly usable stuff like that. :whistle:

It's the too much money I don't spend on buying fancy modern carbon bikes and fancy cycling gear at rip-off prices!

I bet I salvage and re-use a lot more old bike stuff than most on here, given that some won't even repair a punctured inner tube -but even I draw the line at gripshift changers. For one thing I don't like the feel of them. When I'm riding I want to hold the grips and just the grips, not the gear controls at the same time. On the occasions I've ridden a bike with gripshifts, they've irritated the hell out of me in no time at all. I'll stick with thumb lever controls or even downtube friction shifters thanks.

Top Bottom