Shimano HTII crank alignment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Having bought a new Shimano chainset I was looking at it in great detail and I noticed that the two cranks don't fall exactly along the same plane when fitted. They are about 1-2 degrees off. So I set about looking at another Shimano chainset that I own and noticed that these are about 2 degrees off too!!!

This really comes down to the position of the axle as it's pressed into the RH crank or the precision that the splines are machined onto the axle.

Anyone else noticed this?

If you are not sure what I mean think about this - imagine old square taper BBs. The crank would be 90deg off if you were an idiot and put it in the wrong place so it was easy to get the 2 crank arms facing opposite each other (only 4 options). Shimano HTII only fit in one place so you get the correct fit every time - now look closely at that fit - are the arms perfectly in line when fitted? Mine are not.

Or , think of a clock and the hands represent the cranks - one crank at 12o'clock and the other crank at 6 o'clock - my cranks at like 12:00 and 6:05

shadow master

Having bought a new Shimano chainset I was looking at it in great detail and I noticed that the two cranks don't fall exactly along the same plane when fitted. They are about 1-2 degrees off. So I set about looking at another Shimano chainset that I own and noticed that these are about 2 degrees off too!!!

This really comes down to the position of the axle as it's pressed into the RH crank or the precision that the splines are machined onto the axle.

Anyone else noticed this?

If you are not sure what I mean think about this - imagine old square taper BBs. The crank would be 90deg off if you were an idiot and put it in the wrong place so it was easy to get the 2 crank arms facing opposite each other (only 4 options). Shimano HTII only fit in one place so you get the correct fit every time - now look closely at that fit - are the arms perfectly in line when fitted? Mine are not.

Or , think of a clock and the hands represent the cranks - one crank at 12o'clock and the other crank at 6 o'clock - my cranks at like 12:00 and 6:05
Fitted dozens of these.....never had that one!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just checked 2 of mine, they are spot on.
Shimano cranksets has splines so you can only put the cranks on in the right way and at the correct angle don't they?

Close your one eye and look again. If it suddenly comes up straight, go to the optician. If it doesn't, it is a fault of sorts. Said fault could be with installer or manufacturer. Is it a square taper crank or Octalink?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pictures?

Top Bottom