Shimano jockey wheels for 9 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MountainSide

My jockey wheels have become more and more sketchy. The bottom one, sometimes the teeth go outside the chain and/or the teeth skip. There is quite a bit of lateral movement and they are allowing the chain to rub against the cage.

I found some replacement wheels that states compatible with my derailleur but the description says 10 speed. Are 9/10 interchangeable here?

Does the description match with worn wheels. The bottom one has very shallow teeth and the top one is quite pointy. Is there supposed to be a lot of lateral movement on the bottom wheel?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shimano ones float, but if causing issues change. 8-10 speed the same - just count the number of teeth. Tacx make some very good replacements for not much dosh - I use them on my older MTB.

OP
OP
M

MountainSide

Shimano ones float, but if causing issues change. 8-10 speed the same - just count the number of teeth. Tacx make some very good replacements for not much dosh - I use them on my older MTB.

I read the top one should have movement. Maybe in this case they both do?

Both are 11 teeth.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
These are the ones I used as recent replacements on a 9 speed drivechain (11T version):
https://www.tweekscycles.com/bbb-rollerboys-jockey-wheels-2007451/
Have little bearings as opposed to bushings.

+1, I can recommend BBB and Tacx jockey wheels.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I understand, perhaps a misconception, that having jockey wheels with an even number of teeth means that every other tooth wears disproportionately because the alternate inner links of the chain impact on the same n/2 teeth , but I look forward to those who know more confirming that, or explaining why that's not the case.
Maybe this is what sparked that understanding:
The reason they should have an uneven number of teeth (11 is optimal) is so that it doesn't wear into the chain pattern of fat gap/thin gap. If it is worn like that and you happen to refit the chain so that it is now mismatched with the chain, you get plenty of problems of the chain derailing in the cage, jamming the cage and ripping the jockey out of the frame.
And see the whole thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lets-talk-about-jockey-wheels.253372/
OP needs this (BBB Rollerboys) option, anyway: "11T - Compatible with Shimano 9, 10 and 11-speed / Mega Range and Campagnolo 11 speed "

OP
OP
M

MountainSide

Decided to stick with Shimano. Old ones were well gone after 20 years of almost daily riding. Lower wheel was almost a circle with little humps and the top one little pointy spikes!! 5 minute job and much smoother now and the chain can no longer rub against the cage.

Decided to stick with Shimano. Old ones were well gone after 20 years of almost daily riding. Lower wheel was almost a circle with little humps and the top one little pointy spikes!! 5 minute job and much smoother now and the chain can no longer rub against the cage.
Did you mention which rear mech this was?
If not please do and allow it to take a bow and a curtain call.
I have an old rear ultegra which will be celebrating 20 years of hard service soon.
On its second set of jockey wheels.

Top Bottom