Shimano 'M' Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
Am I right in thinking that Shimano 'M' brakes (circa 1994) are just another name for cantilever brakes or are there differences?

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Anyone?

There is a difference. Although they are cantilever brakes, the (hand) levers have a cam in that speeds up the uptake of slack before the pads engage. The term Servo Wave comes to mind. The M was also used for the premium cable sets Shimano sold, which were lubricated with some unobtanium grease.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Thanks for the info. I have M brakes on my 1994 Dawes Mean Street hybrid. They are operated by levers which are a combo with rapidfire gear changers. One of the rapidfires is broken and I have been unsuccessful finding a replacement so I am looking at separate changers and levers. I'm not very mechanically minded and am wondering which levers I will have to buy for the M brakes.

Thanks for the info. I have M brakes on my 1994 Dawes Mean Street hybrid. They are operated by levers which are a combo with rapidfire gear changers. One of the rapidfires is broken and I have been unsuccessful finding a replacement so I am looking at separate changers and levers. I'm not very mechanically minded and am wondering which levers I will have to buy for the M brakes.
OK, good question. No, the brakes themselves are agnostic. You can use any V-brake lever with them.
Is the shifter broken or just stuck? They're excellent shifters and can be repaired.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

The RHS shifter was just stuck and I freed it off with WD40. The LHS central bolt was seized and is turning in the hole and the whole thing is loose and out of line but still not shifting. If I can find a competent Shimano repairer I might be in luck but I'm not optimistic.

The RHS shifter was just stuck and I freed it off with WD40. The LHS central bolt was seized and is turning in the hole and the whole thing is loose and out of line but still not shifting. If I can find a competent Shimano repairer I might be in luck but I'm not optimistic.
Dump it.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

I think you are right. I have to find an 8x3 shifter system to replace it either in combo with brake levers or separates.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Following up on this my LBS tried to sort the LHS shifter but concluded it was beyond repair. They managed to cut out the shifter from the brake combo to preserve the XT brake lever and have fitted an Alivio shifter on the LHS. It's OK but not as smooth as the original.

Top Bottom