Shimano M520 - can't unscrew/release tension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

puffinbilly

Veteran
Bought a pair of second hand Shimano m520 to give clipless a try. They're set on the highest tension and I can't clip in - supposed to loosen with an Allen key but won't budge - one of the screws seems to be rounded and Allen key is ineffective.
Any bright ideas?

gbb

Legendary Member
A long shot depending on what tools you have etc.
Firstly make sure there's no gunge inside the hex preventing full insertion of the allen key, poke around with a small flat blade screwdriver to clean any deep gunk out.
Sometimes you can hammer in a slightly bigger torx bit and get a bite that way. You'd probably be better trying it with the pedal off and laid on something hard to get the torx bit to drive in
If you have a dremel or small angle grinder with a thin disc, cut a slot across the screw head and use a screwdriver, make sure you get good purchase with the best fit screwdriver you have.

vickster

Legendary Member
Send them back if faulty (assuming you are using the right size allen key...I've had maybe 6 pairs and never had an issue, it is quite stiff and notchy as a mechanism too)

OP
OP
puffinbilly

puffinbilly

Veteran
Thanks for the responses - just soaked them in Wd40 - if that doesn't work I'll just sell them and replace.

Not worth buying new -I was buying to try if clipless was for me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the responses - just soaked them in Wd40 - if that doesn't work I'll just sell them and replace.

If you sell, be honest about the fault. Presume you’ve asked the seller about the issue although if you paid less than the new price of around £20, they’re probably only fit for the scrap yard

midlife

Guru

You will sell on the broken pedals? wouldn't it be easier to splash out the £19.99 on new ones then sell them if you don't like them....

Top Bottom