Shimano pedal questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TK421

Casual Extremist
Hello world!
Apologies if I am repeating another thread.
I have inherited these pedals and would love to use them on the cycle I am building.
20220924_130104.jpg

20220924_155557.jpg

20220924_155553.jpg

Any advice on what shoes I would need for them if shoes are needed gratefully received.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
These are Road SPD-SL pedals, so you need three bolt road shoe. They aren't easy to walk in. If you want to walk in shoes, then you need SPD pedals.

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
These are Road SPD-SL pedals, so you need three bolt road shoe. They aren't easy to walk in. If you want to walk in shoes, then you need SPD pedals.
Ta very much for the info. I will bow to your superior knowledge about walking in cycling shoes. I have trouble walking in general, especially after a drink or three :laugh:

fossyant

i've two road bikes that I use 'road shoes' for - fine on bike rides but certainly not, say if you plan to stop, have a wander, or even commuting. For that I use SPD, which I also use on the Mountain bike. You can get various shoes for SPD, from 'trainers', to all out carbon race shoes. SPD is the most flexible type of pedal/shoe combo.

Petrichorwheels

i've two road bikes that I use 'road shoes' for - fine on bike rides but certainly not, say if you plan to stop, have a wander, or even commuting. For that I use SPD, which I also use on the Mountain bike. You can get various shoes for SPD, from 'trainers', to all out carbon race shoes. SPD is the most flexible type of pedal/shoe combo.

do the road types have any advantages AT ALL?
have never been tempted to try.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

unless your putting out pro level watts assuming your shoe sole is stiff enough then the difference is so minimal that you dont need to worry about it .
weekend bike has a single sided " touring " pedal that look a bit roadie whilst keeping the ease of walking of spd system, i use double sided on the commuter for easy clip/unclip in traffic for start /stop riding
a520 and a 600 pedal
1664091391788.png

1664091419602.png

cyberknight

Commuting pedal for me , probably best if your getting into clipless is a double sided pedal like the m520 although i prefer the m530 with a bigger body but tbh i cant tell the difference when riding :smile:

As far as shoes go then a shoe with 2 bolt compatible holes
1664092014406.png

cleats come usually in 2 flavours
sh51 single release where you twist the heel to get out
sh56 where you can release from any angle,
i prefer sh 51 as i get unintentional unclip when really giving it the beans

cyberknight

Hello world!
Apologies if I am repeating another thread.
I have inherited these pedals and would love to use them on the cycle I am building.
View attachment 662185

View attachment 662186

View attachment 662187
Any advice on what shoes I would need for them if shoes are needed gratefully received.

If you want to go ahead and use these pedals rather than mtb style you need a 3 bolt compatible cycle shoe , cycle shoes coming come up small so most need to go +1 to your normal shoe size as your feet swell a bit when cycling .
Plenty of shoes on fleabay if you dont mind going second hand or look at decathlon for good value shoes as well as planet x
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHCASRB/carnac-sortie-road-shoe-black
In the past sports direct shoes i have seen have been dubious in quality , certainly only worth their "half preice sale" price and the soles tended to be to flexible for my liking.
Cleats for 3 bolt
best to go for yellow for "float" or wiggle room so your knee is not fixed in position
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-spd-sl-road-bike-pedal-cleats

fossyant

Yes and no ! You have a slightly better foot platform with road shoes - i.e wider and it's supposed to be better for power and comfort, but I've also never had an issue with SPD shoes and pedals - stiffer shoes sort that out. If you aren't doing serious miles, then SPD is the most 'flexible' solution.

My commuting road bike had SPD's. Even the walk from the bike stand to the office was enough to prefer MTB shoes.

cyberknight

Even if doing serious miles, SPD works great if you have stiff soled shoes. A lot of audaxers use SPD and back to back 200 mile days or 250 miles in a day are no issue.

theres been scientific tests , as i said earlier assuming the shoes are decent the difference is so minimal as not to be relevant , as said above you might have a bit wider platform but the spd shoe has grips that rest on the pedal body so i dont think theres much in it overall.
heres a video where gcn compare non clipped to clipped and they concluded there wasn't much difference let alone spd to spd sl

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMCYYNTWUY

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
For now I will use these.....
20220925_172631.jpg

...which I also inherited for now. I'm sold on the whole clipless, no more feet sliding idea.

Reactions: C R

Jameshow

Veteran
Commuting pedal for me , probably best if your getting into clipless is a double sided pedal like the m520 although i prefer the m530 with a bigger body but tbh i cant tell the difference when riding :smile:

As far as shoes go then a shoe with 2 bolt compatible holes
View attachment 662292
cleats come usually in 2 flavours
sh51 single release where you twist the heel to get out
sh56 where you can release from any angle,
i prefer sh 51 as i get unintentional unclip when really giving it the beans

I'd buy mt5 shoes as they have a strap over he laces unlike mt3.

Top Bottom