Shimano Positron

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
My son has an old bike with early endexed rear mech. It's a Shimano Positron FH-400 and works without a return spring. The cable is a push/pull affair and has broken. Anyone know where I can write to to get a replacement? A Shimano Europe address or something? Better still, if someone had a spare cable lying around..........

I should have mentioned that I've already asked around in various lbs and no one has even heard of this system before, let alone has any spares.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I recken St John Street cycles will be your best bet. IIRC Positron never worked all that well, so it might be better to replace it with something newer.

OP
OP
raindog

raindog

er.....
Thanks again doctor. I've sent them an email, though I'm not holding out too much hope.
I expect I'll end up getting a second hand conventional mech to replace it with. Although, thinking about it, that won't be easy as there aren't any cable stops or guides for an exposed cable system.

OP
OP
raindog

raindog

er.....
Blimey! That's quite a link you gave me there!! Got an answer within minutes from "Dave"

"I'm sorry, we sold out of these some time ago, shimano don't support product this old I'm afraid, you'll have to make one up using piano wire and fabricate the tab."

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TheDoctor said:
SJC are the mutts nuts. Not cheap, granted, but if they haven't got it then no-one has.

They are good.......I phoned them about a DA 7410 headset as a certain other supplier said they had them, never did and cancelled my order.

SJS said - "well it says we've got one, we'll go and look". Got a call back shortly later - "erm sorry we can't find one, but Madison still supply them so we can get you one direct"...and they did. :biggrin:

02GF74

Über Member
I have never heard of the postiron but don;t see why it needs paino wire since
push/pull cable is standard practise on motorcycle throttle cables.

SPHDS

is it 02GF73? Thought that was only positive stop throttles like Norton Rotorys and old GP bikes - my Honda's was certainly spring loaded. could always give it a go though Raindog!

Madcyclist

Sorry I can't help your quest but your post has brought back many fond memories. The first road bike I purchased as a 15 year old after saving my paper round money was a 5 speed Positron equipped Raleigh Magnum. I joined the CTC at 15 and got my first taste of YHA weekends on the Magnum as well as upgrading it to 10 speed the following year and getting my first taste of time trialling.

OP
OP
raindog

raindog

er.....
02GF74 said:
I have never heard of the postiron but don;t see why it needs paino wire since
push/pull cable is standard practise on motorcycle throttle cables.
I've ridden numerous motorbikes and the throttles always had return springs.

Top Bottom