Shimano R500's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
People here are talking b*llocks !

They are great training wheels for £50. And Ribbe give pretty good service these days.

Thing to do is re-grease the bearings with some quality lithium grease before yoyr ride them (and make sure the cones are adjusted correctly so they don't bind on the races).

I've had mine for nearly a year with no problems - yes pertty bomb proof (but then I'm only 10 1/2 stone). I have them on a bike in Tenerife (and the roads are prety bad there and I;ve had no problems in nearly 2k of ridin)

Nuff said.

Flex going round corners ? What on earth are you talking about ?!

So how much time do you spend going round corners ? Sounds like your cycingling in a goldfish bowl if you ask me !

gbb

Legendary Member
itisaboutthebike said:

So how much time do you spend going round corners ? Sounds like your cycingling in a goldfish bowl if you ask me !

Chill brother chill :biggrin:
A question was asked...and in one contributors response, flex was seen as an issue with these wheels ?
What does that mean ? I was particually interested as i'd just fitted a set.

I now know how the flex shows itself...thats when going round corners.

I've a set of unbranded wheels on my Raleigh Chimera. I'd imagine they're cheaper than the R500s...but they dont flex in the way the R500s do.

Is the flex a problem...no. It's just noticeable.

As stated (IMO)..the R500s are ok wheels for the money. Are there better ones for the same money?....i'm not qualified to say...i havnt anything similar to compare with. i certainly dont regret getting them.

gbb

Legendary Member
itisaboutthebike said:

Here's another way of looking at it...:biggrin:

The R500's flex. For a budget aero wheel, i still like them.

But...my Raleigh Chimera has cheap wheels on it (Rigida rims...unbranded hubs AFAIK). They will have been cheaper than the R500s...and they dont flex. Granted, they dont look as nice, but they've been bombproof and done maybe 6000 miles, and still going strong. Never even been out of true.

My Bianchi has Ambrosia rims and hubs (IIRC). They too will be relatively budget wheels. They dont flex, and have been bombproof.

Whats the point ?
The R500's are ok for the money, but they flex. Is the flex a problem...no not really, it's just a very slightly distracting point.

bonj2

itisaboutthebike said:
People here are talking b*llocks !

They are great training wheels for £50. And Ribbe give pretty good service these days.

Thing to do is re-grease the bearings with some quality lithium grease before yoyr ride them (and make sure the cones are adjusted correctly so they don't bind on the races).

I've had mine for nearly a year with no problems - yes pertty bomb proof (but then I'm only 10 1/2 stone). I have them on a bike in Tenerife (and the roads are prety bad there and I;ve had no problems in nearly 2k of ridin)

Nuff said.

you do find that.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Cheap wheels at Ribble now. Just got an email from them with some details of reduced stuff- excerpt below.

- Individually hand built wheels built in the old fashioned way with every stainless steel spoke hand stretched and tensioned.
The following special offer hand built wheels do not appear on our website and any orders should be by telephone only
Please note you should allow up to 7 days for delivery if your order includes a set of these wheels

Shimano Sora 8/9spd/Mavic Open Sport Black £44.95
Shimano Tiagra 4400 8/9spd/Mavic MA3 Black £52.95
Shimano Tiagra 4400 8/9spd/Mavic CXP22 Black £52.95
Shimano Tiagra 4400 8/9spd/Mavic Open Sport Black £52.95
Shimano Tiagra 4400 8/9spd/Mavic Open Pro Black £64.95
Shimano 105 5500 9spd/Mavic MA3 Black £59.95
Shimano 105 5500 9spd/Mavic CXP22 Black £59.95
Shimano 105 5500 9spd/Mavic Open Pro Black £74.95
Shimano Ultegra 6500 9spd/Mavic MA3 Black £69.95-

3. Gipiemme Factory Wheels

Discontinued product line to clear. Fronts only £9 each. Phone orders only please as this product is not on our website.

Top Bottom