Shimano RS30 Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

I'm contemplating getting a set of new wheels and really like the look of the Shimano RS30's in white. Why do I want new wheels? Just fancy them cos I think they'll look great on my bike. The originals (Maddux/Novatec) on the Bianchi are fine for what they are and having no experience of anything different I have no complaints, tho one or more of the bearings in the rear needs replacing now.

The two questions are, firstly, for my budget of £150 would I be significantly better off getting a different wheel like a Fulcrum Racing 7/5 or something? I suspect, for my budget there is little difference in wheelsets in this price range, which is fine, thats not at the top of my list, it wouldn't hurt to loose a few pounds, of the lard variety, anyhow. Could I save more money to buy a more expensive set, probably, but I don't want to spend that much on a set of wheels.

Secondly, the Shimano's are cup & cone rather than sealed bearings, this sounds like extra maintenance, older tech, poorer performance etc. How much effort/ball ache is required to maintain cup & cone bearings?

Chris

Top Bottom