Shimano RSX shifter not working too well...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bought an old Harry Hall racer with Columbus SLX tubing in superb nick for £150. Spent another £70 on new tyres, tape and a complete set of cables. Now I find that despite the new cable the RH Shimano RSX shifter is sticky - the chain won't shift onto a smaller cog easily, even if I flick the release lever. The derailleur works smoothly if you tension up the cable by pulling it so I reckon there's some mysterious fault with the innards of the shifter. A cycling neighbour tells me that a Shimano agent should be able to sort it out - are these units known for giving trouble and what do you think could be the problem? The bike was unused for a long time - maybe all it needs is a squirt of WD40?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Yeah, give it a squirt and see how it goes!

I'd be tempted to take the cable out completely, give the shifter and the outers a good blast of spraylube and grease the cable up before putting it back together.

I suspect that's all a Shimano dealer could do for you (apart from sell you a pair of new levers) given the non-servicable nature of STIs.

Joe

Über Member
I had this problem with my old RSX shifter. Liberal WD40ing didn't work so I made the mistake of taking it apart. Spring popped out, spent hours trying to get it back in, got angry, gave up and bought new shifters:blush:

I have a similar issue with my shifter. Tightening the bolt on the front of it has worked slightly, but I need to take it out and give it a good test. Otherwise I'll have to buy new shifters, and rear cassette as it's a 7-speed, and then try and sell the two 7-speed cassettes that I bought as replacements, grrr!

Also found that pressing the release lever towards the front of the bike made it work better, which suggests wear to me.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I see there are some Sora shifters on Eblag right now.

What ratios are the 7 speed cassettes you have spare? Are they cartridge or screw-on?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a pair of 8-speed Sora shifters that I don't use. They are in perfect working condition, but suffered some cosmetic damage when I inverted the bike on the road to fix punctures. Would they be any use to either of you (Rigid Rider, Twenty Inch)?

Rigid Raider said:
I see there are some Sora shifters on Eblag right now.

What ratios are the 7 speed cassettes you have spare? Are they cartridge or screw-on?

I'll have a look this weekend, but if you're buying the 8-spd shifters you probably don't need them.

Top Bottom