Shimano RSX rear derailleur - not shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
After some advice as I'm stumped.

I bought this bike from here a couple of years back:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/sold-dawes-competition-giro-300-1998.262269/

It was my main bike for a good while until a few changes in my life meant a lot less cycling. So it was stored, dry, carefully, all the usual care and attention paid. I've recently got back onto the saddle and having checked everything over I'm stumped by the rear derailleur - it just doesn't seem to move no matter what I'm trying.

A bit of research suggests lubing everything thoroughly, which I've done but to no avail. Usual checks on the limit screws/cable pull don't seem to have any effect. It was working fine before being stored (for just over a year), hasn't been knocked around and I can't see any signs of damage.

Am I missing something really obvious? I'm generally pretty confident with repairs/tinkering, but I can't seem to work this one out. A replacement wouldn't break the bank, but I'd rather work with what I've got rather than buying something new unnecessarily.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
1/ It could be a cable problem.
Undo the cable clamp and see if the cable is moving freely. If it doesn't then there is corrosion or some fraying inside the outers. New cables.
If the cable moves freely----
Could it be a shifter problem. When you have the cable unclamped from the rear mech, does the shifter pull the cable as in shifting down the gears.
If it's ok----
It could then be corrosion in the pivots of the mech. Can you move the mech by hand easily.
It is really just a fault finding expedition.
Good luck.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
1/ It could be a cable problem.
Undo the cable clamp and see if the cable is moving freely. If it doesn't then there is corrosion or some fraying inside the outers. New cables.
If the cable moves freely----
Could it be a shifter problem. When you have the cable unclamped from the rear mech, does the shifter pull the cable as in shifting down the gears.
If it's ok----
It could then be corrosion in the pivots of the mech. Can you move the mech by hand easily.
It is really just a fault finding expedition.
Good luck.

The mech seems to be OK. I'm thinking it's probably cables. Thank you!

Ajax Bay

Guru
After that time 'stored' replace both gear cables and all the bits of outer. The brake cables are less important: if they function and the calipers release fully that's fine.
Worth a good old oiling of all the derailleur pivot points (front and rear).
Pulling on the down tube section of the gear cable with your hand will surely operate the RD, no?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Pull the cable under the chainstay or the downtube. If the mech moves then it's the lever. If the cable comes loose in your hand then you need a new cable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Cheers for the advice troops. I'll give those a go tomorrow when it's less wild outside. Traipsing out to the shed has limited appeal right now.

Top Bottom