Shimano Sora Freehub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

llllllll

Bit of an odd one this. Last couple of mornings I've got on the bike, started pedaling and got no drive. If I keep spinning the pedals, the freehub (eventually) engages and I can continue. Unfortunately it starts again if I free wheel, so I end up having to ride my geared bike like a fixie (don't stop pedaling). About halfway through my commute it all seems to start working properly.

My theory is that I've used the wrong grease when repacking the hub and it thickens up in the cold weather, stopping the pawls moving as freely as they should - it works fine on the way home. But I've not had chance to take it all apart to check and I'm starting to worry that it may be something more terminal. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
knackered freehub i think. i had that problem last year on my road bike. the good news is that the freehub can be replaced without removing the hub body and rebuilding the wheel. one lbs will only do that for shimano hubs, so i guess they're easier to do or that the part is easily sourced.

OP
OP
llllllll

llllllll

Thanks for the replies. It's been pretty cold the last few mornings but not Arctic cold, I just can't think of any other reason it'd work fine in the warmer weather. Prehaps I'll just have to bite the bullett and see if I can get a new freehub, though I've not had much luck getting Shimano spares in the past.

Top Bottom