Shimano SPD spindle/axle length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
I currently have what I presume is the standard 29mm between the crank and the pedal body on my Shimano PD-M520 pedals. When pedalling my shoe (size 11 UK) often rubs on the crank which is a far from ideal situation. Do pedals now only come with a standard spindle/axle length, or are longer ones available. My local bike shop's suppliers stock no such beast and Shimano no longer seems to manufacture them or do the extenders.
Hive help much appreciated - chopping bits off my feet not an option - as there are loads of cyclists with bigger hooves than mine.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Maybe try and reduce the q factor?

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Maybe try and reduce the q factor?

Unless I have totally misunderstood what the q factor is (I may still have the wrong end of the stick but I did just double check 😉) I can't see how it would help with the afore mentioned gap. I'm already pretty much at the limit of lateral adjustment and it would have an adverse effect on my knees if I adjust the angle of my feet on the pedals.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Unless I have totally misunderstood what the q factor is (I may still have the wrong end of the stick but I did just double check 😉) I can't see how it would help with the afore mentioned gap. I'm already pretty much at the limit of lateral adjustment and it would have an adverse effect on my knees if I adjust the angle of my feet on the pedals.
Get a different shape crank and reduce the BB length. That will space out the feet

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
That's the sort of thing but only about 5mm is required

You can't really have an extender like those any shorter than your pedal thread length. I've used pedal washers (alloy sump plug washers) but a maximum of 2 per pedal.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
How bad is the rubbage? If this is only a concern due to you noticing the polishing of the crank arm then ignore it and carry on. If you can feel it then maybe move your cleats slightly or consider alternative shoes?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I currently have what I presume is the standard 29mm between the crank and the pedal body on my Shimano PD-M520 pedals. When pedalling my shoe (size 11 UK) often rubs on the crank which is a far from ideal situation. . . .
Hive help much appreciated - chopping bits off my feet not an option - as there are loads of cyclists with bigger hooves than mine.
You may find that shifting the cleats back as far as they will go reduces the extent your heal errs inwards.
On a point of detail I thought there would be rather few cyclists with "bigger hooves" than yours so I did a check.
Only about 3% of the male population take a shoe size higher than 11.
http://www.britishfootwearassociation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Footwear-sizes-2003.doc.pdf
"11% of adults cycled at least once per week"
https://assets.publishing.service.g...lking-and-cycling-statistics-england-2019.pdf
27M adult males in UK so 27M x 0.11 x 0.03 = 89,000 cyclists!! with "bigger hooves" than yours "loads". Am duly amazed: I wonder how many use cleats of any kind, mind.
(Note to self: need a new contract!)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Worth the question, but these are spd cleats so they're on those two tramlines in the sole.

yes shoes have the slots for movement back and front and the cleats do side to side..

1653402547710.png

Top Bottom