Shimano Triple shifter - will work with a dbl?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Will an Ultegra triple shifter work with a compact dbl chainset and dbl front mech? Also, can I use the triple shifter and the matching triple front mech with a compact dbl chainset and just adjust it so that it only works across 2 chainrings?

Ta

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Yes.
Use the limit screw on the front mech to lock out the small ring posititon. It's better not to lock out the big ring position.

Its essential that you use the middle and big ring clicks on the shifter rather than small to middle. The amount of puul is different between the two - to do with the radius through which the mech travels.

U

User482

Will an Ultegra triple shifter work with a compact dbl chainset and dbl front mech? Also, can I use the triple shifter and the matching triple front mech with a compact dbl chainset and just adjust it so that it only works across 2 chainrings?

Ta

Just to confirm what the others said - this is the set up I have on my bike and it works perfectly.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sorry - just one more thing :smile:

What about the front mech? Do I need to leave the triple on there or should I bring across the Compact dbl from the bike that the CT chainset is currently fitted to (assuming I actually bother to go ahead with the swap)? I am guessing it's better to use the compact one (shape / depth of the cage part, in relation to the curvature of the compact rings will be more curved).

Ta

U

User482

My understanding is that a specific double front mech will work a little more smoothly, but the triple on mine seems to be fine, if slightly agricultural. No need to change it before it wears out, IMO.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
My replacement LH shifter eventually arrived, Today. Perhaps somebody from CRC has been reading this thread because they mistaking sent me a dbl, instead of a trpl :wacko:

I have, of course sent a strongly worded e-mail to their Warranty team. I would have preferred them to get it right and have the option of sticking with the triple, if I so desire.

Top Bottom