Shimano UN54 bottom bracket - BB Mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I need a new bottom bracket for a bike. The Shimano UN54 is the one I want but I see it advertised (on wiggle) as BS Double, BS BB Mount and BS Triple.

Now I assume 'BS' is 'British Standard', 'double' and 'triple' speak for themselves (but why the difference??) but 'BB Mount' just defeats me. What is it?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Some front mechs bolt onto the BB hence the need for a BB mount BB
A double might be shorter than a triple. why its not listed by size is beyond me though?!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Steve Austin said:
Some front mechs bolt onto the BB hence the need for a BB mount BB
A double might be shorter than a triple. why its not listed by size is beyond me though?!

Thanks Steve. The size is listed as well! I can't think how it matters whether it's a double or a triple!

k-dog

A triple BB sticks out further (although the cups are the same distance apart as a double as it is the BB shell that dictates that) so that you can fit 3 rings in - the outer two rings are attached to the cranks and the inner ring is attached to the middle ring - so it sits a little further in than the inner ring of a double setup.

If you used a double BB with a triple chainset you could find that the granny ring rubbed the chainstay which wouldn't be clever.

Top Bottom