Shimano WH 501 wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday I thought I'd overhaul the winter bike. So cleaned the cassette and removed axle and the 9 ball bearings from each side, a service task iv'e done many times, but on reassembly of wheel to frame on fixing the quick release to secure the rear wheel in to the frame I found that the 9 speed cassette is really stiff to rotate though the cones are set up so the wheel it self spins perfectly. so I can only think that the hub axle isn't positioned properly I thought it should project about 6mm each each side from the right and left hand locking nut? Looking at the hub axle I seem to have about 1.5mm less on the cassette side I didn't think it was that. So any one got any thoughts on this, Its annoying as Ive done this task many times and never had a problem, I'm sure its something stearing me in the face or I'm really losing the plot! thanks .n.b I do have the shimano service sheet with the positioning of locking nut assemblys.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OK
So these are the first tests I'd do:
1) Check that the lock nut on the freehub side is clear of the lockring (appreciate obvious) - min 1mm.
2) Installed (ie with QR tightened) does the wheel spin well? If so the wheel bearings are fine and you have the pre-compression correct.
3) Removing the wheel, does the cassette spin ok (by hand)? Pretty sure QR compression does not affect the freehub bearings.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 1258

Have you dropped a spacer and not realised you had dropped it.

Reactions: C R
Don't think so On the non drive side the Shimano service sheet shows the lock nut then the spacer then the cone I didn't take the sealring off so all that side is okay and on the drive side its jus the lock nut then a plain washer then the cone like I said I will make sure that the hub axle is protruding to the same exstent each side. Though the wheel spins freely in the frame with quick release tightend its just the cassette that is stiff to roatate, will get back on it soon as the frain stops! :sad:

Well the rain stopped so I got out there and made sure I had the hub axle equidistant each side (which it wasn't) and on doing this was upset to see that I had put the plain washer on the non drive side, so corected this. Now all well just got to find one of jockey wheel bearings which annoying i dropped. Thanks for all the thoughts.

Top Bottom