Shimano WHR-550 spoke nipple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anybody know where I can get a spoke nipple for a Shimano WHR-550 wheel ?

I've broken one of the spoke nipples, the spoke itself is OK, but the nipple has fallen apart and just pulled straight out of the hub.

Rear, non-drive side. The wheel is remarkably true considering it's now only got 19 spokes - I was only aware of it becuse of a rattling sound which turned-out to be the spoke flapping about, the wheel was true enough to not even be binding on the brake.

The problem is getting a replacement nipple - LBS don't have any, can't find any online.

Cheers, Andy

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Does a new spoke not come with a matching nipple ? You might have to buy a spoke to get one if they're not available separately.

Excellent, PapaZita !

The sort of detective work I like doing, although on this occasion I'd not managed it myself and you win the coconut :wacko:

Yes, I'd been into the Shimano exploded parts diagram, I'd even been on SJS site looking at what spoke nipples they had and had even been into that page and wondered if it would fit...
...but I hadn't gone that further step of looking at the parts diagram for the other wheels and working out it is actually the same part !

Bit of a bummer that the nipple is 99p and yet SJS's postage is £3.50 regardless :tongue:

Oh well, cheaper than a new wheel !

thanks.

Goo - nope, if you buy a spoke, you get a spoke, the nipples sell separately. Thanks for the thought anyway.

PapaZita

Guru
Happy to be able to help! Shame about the postage cost though. Perhaps an LBS could add some to their next Shimano order, now that the part number is known.

PZ.

GrahamG

Guru
SJS know how to shaft people, whether it's £1 for a spoke nipple, 99p for a plastic SKS stay cap or taking people's hard earned in exchange for the ugliest tourers known to man :biggrin:

Top Bottom