Shimergo - which Campag shifter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
So far I've been all Shimano:
Current Shifters are Sora triple 9 speed, front mech is 105, rear mech is Ultegra, chainset is currently Tiagra, but will change to a 105 cranks with TA rings so as to have different ratios from Shimano's standard offerings, cassette is a "custom built" 12-30 cobbled together from bits of other HG50 cassettes.

My next planned upgrade is to put 10s Campag Ergos on (compatible with Shimano 9 speed with the Hubbub cable routing - right?) - for the benefit of the cable routing.

Trouble is I have no clue about Campag....what shifters would anyone recommend? Price is an important factor. Are their base models worth it?

Is it worth changing front mech? I've got a NOS Record triple front with the appropriate band diameter that I could put on if it's going to work better with the Ergo shifters.

Anything else I need to look out for?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
10 speed Campag works with Shimano 9 speed with hubbub routing, yes. (Not perfectly at all times with a Shimano Capreo hub, I've learned, but that's unlikely to worry you).

I've used Xenon and Veloce ergos, and they've worked well up to a point. The little teeth on the ratchet tend to strip after a while, and apparently can't be replaced (except by cannibalizing another ergo - because Campag don't supply replacements).

In fact, Mercian's ergo guru advised me to go for Chorus, Record or Super record, as they can and do repair and service these. I duly have a set of Chorus ergos on the shelf for when the next one fails.

Since you've got a Record front mech, why not try it? If it works better than the 105, stick with it. If not, switch back.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
With the price you can get Xenon's these days they are almost "disposable" so I might try those, but I confess to being a little confused about all these Campag groupset names..... some that are offered by retailers seem to be absent from Campag's website. Other names have reappeared after an absence I believe. Never had to think about Campag before. Now I got to learn a whole new vocabulary.

Manonabike

Über Member
Hi porkypete,

As you know, I was recently doing an upgrade with shimano 105 when the left shifter failed before I had a chance to tune it..... I got my money back and "no thank you, no replacement is required" :evil: the guy at my LBS said they have replaced hundreds of them in the last couple of years.

GrahamG, suggested the Campagnolo 10 speed Veloce which I got for £82. I believe you can change the ratchet when it wears out see this

I am running 8 speed cassette, 105 front and rear dereailleurs, 9 speed chainset. The right shifter works very well with the rear derailleur and cassette you could never tell that the shifter is not shimano. The left shifter works differently to a shimano shifter but it's just a matter of getting used to it and then its great.

For a 9 speed cassette you just have to route the cable differently, like this

I believe the Xenon does not work only the Ultra shift shifters work ok. Also, if you go for a Campagnolo front derailleur then it must not be QS - that is what is says in the manual..... "Ultra Shift" not compatible with the olders style QS FD.

I hope that helps

monnet

Guru
I'll admit straight off, this is not my field as my bikes are Shimano 10 speed so I've no idea how or if this would work but if it's for cable routing prettiness you want campag, why not just get the new 105 shifters?

I know they're 10 speed (so may not be compatible with your set up) and i appreciate that from your post they might not be the most economical choice but they look pretty good to me, keep you on Shimano, give you concealed cables and will be about 10% cheaper than the current 105 levers.

Crepello

I've found that using a Campag Comp (long arm) rear mech works an absolute treat in conjunction with Centaur Ultrashift 10 speed levers and the Shimano hub / 9 speed cassette (mines a 11-28T but the mech will cope with a 30T spocket). There's no need for hubbub mod's and the shifting is sweet and neutral straight out of the box.

P.H

Über Member
Crepello said:
I've found that using a Campag Comp (long arm) rear mech works an absolute treat in conjunction with Centaur Ultrashift 10 speed levers and the Shimano hub / 9 speed cassette (mines a 11-28T but the mech will cope with a 30T spocket). There's no need for hubbub mod's and the shifting is sweet and neutral straight out of the box.

It may work well for you and I hope it continues to when it becomes worn, but it isn't ideal. You're under shifting 0.2mm per shift (Campag 10spd pitch 4.15 Shimano 9spd 4.35) So if you set than up on the middle sprocket you'll be 0.8mm out at the extremes. You've obviously found that works well with that 0.8mm difference, but what when it's an extra 0.8mm? I can't help thinking it will be more susceptible to things like cable stretch and pivot wear.

SimonC

porkypete said:
With the price you can get Xenon's these days they are almost "disposable" so I might try those, but I confess to being a little confused about all these Campag groupset names..... some that are offered by retailers seem to be absent from Campag's website. Other names have reappeared after an absence I believe. Never had to think about Campag before. Now I got to learn a whole new vocabulary.

Xenon's are horrible and plasticky things, I would go up the range if you can.

Reason a lot of the groupset names are not on Campag website is that they are last years model, or the year before or further back.

Thats not to say there is anything wrong with them - just built a new frame up with old Campag stock from gbcycles, some of it 2006 vintage, cheap as chips and still excellent kit. It hasnt changed much in 3-4 years.

GrahamG

Guru
monnet said:
I'll admit straight off, this is not my field as my bikes are Shimano 10 speed so I've no idea how or if this would work but if it's for cable routing prettiness you want campag, why not just get the new 105 shifters?

I know they're 10 speed (so may not be compatible with your set up) and i appreciate that from your post they might not be the most economical choice but they look pretty good to me, keep you on Shimano, give you concealed cables and will be about 10% cheaper than the current 105 levers.

For me, the main reason for using Campag (and more important to me than cable routing) is the non-indexed front shifting. When using a triple, the ability to infinitely trim the front mech to avoid chain rub is pure heaven after using shimano where you just have to adjust it as best you can and settle on having chain rub in certain combinations. I'd probably use campag for a double too actually.

Also, I find the levers infinitely more comfortable - although I've not tried the new *700 generation of shimano shifters.

Oh, and shimano sti's have always been a good bit more expensive than campag (with the obvious exceptions of top of the line models).

On the more humerous side, a couple of riding mates were taking the piss out of my componentry in a light-hearted fasion ("is it some kind of challenge to see how many different groupsets you can stick together?"), then at the end of the ride that became "we can't talk much considering his was the only bike with no noise whatsoever.." :laugh:

Crepello

P.H said:
It may work well for you and I hope it continues to when it becomes worn, but it isn't ideal. You're under shifting 0.2mm per shift (Campag 10spd pitch 4.15 Shimano 9spd 4.35) So if you set than up on the middle sprocket you'll be 0.8mm out at the extremes. You've obviously found that works well with that 0.8mm difference, but what when it's an extra 0.8mm? I can't help thinking it will be more susceptible to things like cable stretch and pivot wear.
I've been experimenting a lot with clamping method's http://http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28705&p=226173&hilit=shiftmate+aye#p225122 and the hubbub in particular, which I find doesn't work at all well for me. I think this combination will continue to work well, because I can tell when gear changes are to advanced or retarded by the feel at the lever (despite wear and tear). As I say, the changes are sweet and neutral. I don't know why it works, but it does. And if it doesn't in future, I'll just re-route the cable clamp position and increase the pitch shifted at the mech.

redjedi

Über Member
porkypete said:
So far I've been all Shimano:
Current Shifters are Sora triple 9 speed, front mech is 105, rear mech is Ultegra, chainset is currently Tiagra, but will change to a 105 cranks with TA rings so as to have different ratios from Shimano's standard offerings, cassette is a "custom built" 12-30 cobbled together from bits of other HG50 cassettes.

My next planned upgrade is to put 10s Campag Ergos on (compatible with Shimano 9 speed with the Hubbub cable routing - right?) - for the benefit of the cable routing.

Trouble is I have no clue about Campag....what shifters would anyone recommend? Price is an important factor. Are their base models worth it?

Is it worth changing front mech? I've got a NOS Record triple front with the appropriate band diameter that I could put on if it's going to work better with the Ergo shifters.

Anything else I need to look out for?

I did a similar setup on my last bike and it worked fine.

I used an 8 speed cassette though which works perfectly with the 10 speed Ergos without the need of a hubbub.

Don't get Mirage though, go up to at least Veloce. Veloce have metal levers instead of plastic.
You'll also need to get the Ultra shift levers to have the trim on the front mech.

Either of your front mechs should work but if you've got a Record one, use that one.
Then you can up-grade your rear mech to a Campag leaving only the freehub and cassette being Shimano, which no-one will notice.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think they'd notice the big "105" on the cranks though !

I'm not proud though, quite happy to have a "mixed bag" of components.

Manonabike

Über Member
porkypete said:
I think they'd notice the big "105" on the cranks though !

I'm not proud though, quite happy to have a "mixed bag" of components.

For me is not an issue of being proud, it's more an issue of doing something different.

rh100

Hi PpPete

Sorry to drag up an old thread, wondered if you got round to trying this and how you got on.

I'm doing a new touring bike build and like the idea of Shimergo, keep reading good things about it. I'm going 9 speed on the back with deore mech and tripple deore chainset.

Have read a few comments about weak springs on front mechs, so any tips from anyone for a good option up front? i understand that there is a need to avoid certain models of shifter due to different indexing on the front shifter, thinking of maybe Veloce 10sp with hubbub as you mentioned.

Another question about shimergo: are there any issues with brake compatibility? Haven't decided yet if to stick with normal canti's or v brakes with the adapters (not fully looked into yet, could settle with the canti's though), also I'll be wanting toadd cross bar brake levers inline, anyone fitted these with campag levers?

Thanks

Top Bottom