Shingles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nor did I but honest to dog, I was prepared to try anything! It has calmed/soothed the skin tbf but I suspect it'll be short lived. More to the point, and as you say, I very much doubt it'll do anything for these shooting nerve pains.

Dr may give you some medication like gabapentin for those if persist

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
Nor did I but honest to dog, I was prepared to try anything! It has calmed/soothed the skin tbf but I suspect it'll be short lived. More to the point, and as you say, I very much doubt it'll do anything for these shooting nerve pains.

Amitryptyline was BRILLIANT for my nerve pain. I had it prescribed on the strength of sending a photo of my rash to the GP and it was delivered by my lovely pharmacist later the same day. It doesn't give immediate relief, and after a couple of weeks on 10mg/day, I had the dose increased. Constipation is a common side effect - and I hated it - so as the pain after about 6 weeks was bearable, I slowly cut down again and stopped it entirely after a suitable point. I still get an occasional 'stab' but I'd rather that than a concrete-like constipation on a daily basis! Probably TMI ... but forewarned is forearmed, so be prepared with stool softeners, high-fibre additives and the like.

yello

Diagnose confirmed - it is shingles. Took the doc all of a nano second to look and say 'yep, singles' (zona in French).

I have an iodine cream to dry out and heal the rash/sores, a paracetamol-codeine tablet for the pain and valaciclover to do the important stuff. The doc also recommended the jab mentioned earlier.

yello

When I I woke this morning, I actually felt loads better. I didn't sleep the best, woken a couple of times with jabbing pain, but was feeling better nonetheless. I've only had the one pain stab so I think the worst might be over (fingers crossed) My deep sleep was 85 minutes last night (3 times my normal) so I think there was some repair going on! I think I might have a trooper of an immune system!

I'll take the meds obviously. I'll only take the codeine before bed as the pain so far (touch wood) has been negligible.

Blimey it feels good to be on the mend :smile:

Top Bottom