Shingles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
All good. As I said, "Hope it clears up without undue delay, Norah."
Thanks - and so do I!
The nerve pain, at least, seems to be following some weird sort of circadian rhythm. I will be more certain about that when I have suffered for a few more days.

yello

First had it near on 30 years ago, I'm anticipating it to be diagnosed again when I see the doc on Thursday. It's on my back, looks like shingles and symptoms fit though fortunately I don't suffer quite the pain levels others have (I remember that from the last time)

My only question: why now?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Gosh, I got away with it lightly when I had shingles. Doctor said "don't ride your bike into work, take the train/bus or drive." I negotiated this down to "Just ride more gently then."

The only really significant side effect was causing a minor outbreak of chickenpox in the nurseries and child care facilities in South West Birmingham.

All the best, and hope you get well soon.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I was always strangely proud of having never had Chickenpox as a kid.

Of course, pride very often comes before a fall and I got it in my late '30s' after, it would appear, coming in contact with someone at a show at the museum (lots of kiddies, etc).

It was itchy, although not as bad as I thought it was going to be and I was able to largely resit scratching. All is ok now, save for a small indent on my nose.

Last edited:

yello

It's starting to hurt, quite a bit, occasional horrid stabbing pains, ow ow ow

mummy's little soldier is trying to tough it out... but he really wants to cry :cry:

vickster

Legendary Member
It's starting to hurt, quite a bit, occasional horrid stabbing pains, ow ow ow

mummy's little soldier is trying to tough it out... but he really wants to cry :cry:

You should get to the Dr asap as they can prescribe antivirals to reduce duration and severity and risk of complications/ongoing issues, but need to do asap after symptoms start

yello

My appt is tomorrow, soonest I could get.

Just had a colloidal oatmeal bath in the hope it'll calm things, we'll see. The general discomfort, I can put up with. It's these occasional shooting pains, jeez they smart.

vickster

Legendary Member
My appt is tomorrow, soonest I could get.

Just had a colloidal oatmeal bath in the hope it'll calm things, we'll see. The general discomfort, I can put up with. It's these occasional shooting pains, jeez they smart.
It affects the nerve endings, don't think a bath will do a lot, it's not a skin condition really. You want to avoid those pains getting chronic (something called PHN), hence the antiviral meds asap ;)

yello

My only previous experience (must be 30 odd years ago now) was nowhere near as uncomfortable and painful as this current bout. I reckon I got lucky back then too.

vickster

Legendary Member
My only previous experience (must be 30 odd years ago now) was nowhere near as uncomfortable and painful as this current bout. I reckon I got lucky back then too.

If I recall, typically worse with age unfortunately. I had in my mid 20s, don't remember it being bad, I did get the antivirals quickly though (famciclovir)

yello

don't think a bath will do a lot

Nor did I but honest to dog, I was prepared to try anything! It has calmed/soothed the skin tbf but I suspect it'll be short lived. More to the point, and as you say, I very much doubt it'll do anything for these shooting nerve pains.

Top Bottom