Ship Ahoy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Royal Navy is having a rum old time in the Persian Gulf. Mis-wired engines go in wrong direction!
Minesweepers are supposed to be the RN speciality within NATO and a vital strategic asset to keep sea lanes open. This is the second time that two have collided!
As a software eng working on these systems, I found the Navy techs to be really switched on and committed to their trade of hunting mines.
Is this an ocifer problem ?

Bristolian

As a retired Ocifer (Army type not wavy Navy) I couldn't possibly comment on your question :eek:

I can, however, concur that the Navy technicians I have worked with since leaving HM Forces have been very switched on, fast learners and totally dedicated to their craft :okay:

richardfm

Veteran
Two Royal Navy warships collided in Bahrain at the end of last week because one was incorrectly rewired, meaning that it unexpectedly went into reverse when it was set to go forward, military sources have said.

The minehunter HMS Chiddingfold went backwards into HMS Bangor, which was lying at port, ripping a hole in a cabin above the waterline, in an embarrassing blunder that the defence secretary, Grant Shapps, insisted did not reflect incompetence.

If incorrectly rewiring a ship to make it go astern when it's meant to go ahead isn't incompetence I'd like to know what is.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...each-other-due-to-faulty-rewiring-say-sources

richardfm

Veteran
As a retired Ocifer (Army type not wavy Navy) I couldn't possibly comment on your question :eek:

I can, however, concur that the Navy technicians I have worked with since leaving HM Forces have been very switched on, fast learners and totally dedicated to their craft :okay:

The "Wavy Navy' is the Royal Naval Reserve, so called because the bands on their cuffs denoting rank are "wavy'.

Top Bottom