Shipping Forecast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I work in the North Sea and don't listen to it.
Weather forecasts arrive by email and are very specific to oilfield the boat is in, mainly windspeeds and wave heights.
No rhythmic incantation or romance there I'm afraid

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I love it for the rhythmic language and the complete impenetrability to many.

My husband is a sailor and listens to it properly and understands it too!

I remember a while ago reading, for the first time, "Sea state: phenomenal" on the shipping forecast on the web. Also heard a hurricane on the radio forecast too.

puddleglum

gb-locks said:
Where and when is it on??

It's on radio 4 late at night, some time around midnight I think. Reliable, reassuring, etc. It must be likehow a really young kid feels when they are being read to, but they don't yet understand the words :sad:

Also on at 5.30am and on R4 long wave around midday. The midnight broadcast is the only one that features "Sailing By" as the theme music (yes, I have read "Attention all Shipping").:sad:

bonj2

Rhythm Thief said:
I do. We covered it in a meteorology module when I was doing my degree (how long ago that seems). It's actually pretty logical, and sums up wind speed and direction, precipitation and visibility in various sea areas. In a concise and easy to understand format.

Well it sounds like the most incomprehensible stream of absolute gibberish I've ever heard! I was once listening to radio 4 in the garage when it came on and my brain hurt it was such bollocks, I had to go and turn over to radio 2!

Top Bottom