Shock Pumps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My lad has a full bouncy with air shocks front and rear. They need inflating apparently, so can anyone advise on a half decent pump for this? I have a track pump for the road bikes but can't use it for this I'm told.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Phaart Tommy Squeaker from planet x

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've got a Marzocchi fork pump I don't use* but it's only the 100 psi version (more precise gauge for forks) some rear shocks need 200+ psi
I'd sell it for a tenner if you want it.

* The bike I had with Marzocchi 'Bomber' forks got nicked.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've got a Marzocchi fork pump I don't use* but it's only the 100 psi version (more precise gauge for forks) some rear shocks need 200+ psi
I'd sell it for a tenner if you want it.

* The bike I had with Marzocchi 'Bomber' forks got nicked.
Appreciate the offer, but yes, his rear shock needs more than 100psi.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sorry to go slightly off tangent, but my Rockrider’s front suspension feels too firm for my size and height. Presume the shock pumps can be used to reduce pressure too?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Sorry to go slightly off tangent, but my Rockrider’s front suspension feels too firm for my size and height. Presume the shock pumps can be used to reduce pressure too?
You can just press the valve in a bit with a pointy thing, obviously you'd have no way of telling what PSI is left in it

figbat

Slippery scientist
You don’t need a pump to reduce pressure, although the chances are you might release too much and will need the pump to get it up again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You sould be setting the sag to around 25-30% and adjusting pressure to suit.

figbat

Slippery scientist
You can just press the valve in a bit with a pointy thing, obviously you'd have no way of telling what PSI is left in it
Indeed - a pressure gauge is what you need, ideally one with a release valve built in. I think my shock pump has a pressure release button so although not needed, it is beneficial to have a shock pump for releasing pressure.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Indeed - a pressure gauge is what you need, ideally one with a release valve built in. I think my shock pump has a pressure release button so although not needed, it is beneficial to have a shock pump for releasing pressure.

It's more adjustable with the pressure release valve on the pump - doesn't all just shoot out. Remember their isn't much air in a rear can, but they are usually over 200 PSI. Remember, set sag fully laden - so including backpack and any water bladder - 3 litres adds 3kg. I only check my 'sag/air pressure' before a big ride - fortunately, don't touch it in between, even if I'm not carrying the extra 3kg of water.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep a good shock pump has a release button that allows a tiny bit of air out each time you press it to 'fine tune' pressure

Tom B

Guru
I got mine from decathlon for 20quid.
It's surprising robust and does the job. I'm not sure how exact the guage is, but that doesn't matter to me. I just know I need whatever pressures I need (written on the top on the toolbox) according to that gauge.

It's surprising how many people have bouncy bikes a dont have a pump. Mine occasionally does the rounds of the office.

Top Bottom