Shocked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
I've mentioned before that our 2nd car is now a 20 Yr old Zafira. Had from new and done us proud. Only used now as a load carrier, especially taking the bike to events, so only does a few thousand each year.

Anyway, the last few mot's has identified advisories on the shock absorbers and rear coil springs. But I have lived with the car bouncing up and down. However, this year, decided to have them replaced. Always a dilemma paying out almost £700 when the car is probably not worth that.

But I am amazed at the difference it's made. It drives like anew car again!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Sometimes, things can hold sentimental value and become priceless. Other people can tell you its not worth throwing in money to get it back on the road but if the car means that much to you then there is only one solution and thats getting it back on the road for more adventures.

I had a similar story today. Due to living in london, I fall inside the new congestion charge zone thats coming into force next week which means that I'll be charged something like £12.50 every time I decide to move the car.

The car was a 2.0L 2004 Honda Accord Estate Tourer (Executive) I cant remember the exact date we picked it up used and it was used as a company car for 2-3 years before it was dumped on cargiant and we bought it. Had 70k on the clock when we got it and the final mileage was just under 120k. First major service cost £300 after buying it from cargiant and we kept up with the regular servicing that never costs very much - Its a Honda things like oil and air filters are cheap and the car literally required zero maintenance outside of the servicing schedule and It always ran perfectly.

Unfortunately since its an old car the emissions on it are way past the limit that the Government has put in place and nobody wants to buy a car that doesnt meet the new emissions target so we had to choice but to sell it as scrap.

It was hard driving it to the scrap yard, signing it away and handing the keys over to the staff there who immediately popped the bonnet and the boot and started stripping the car down for things that could or could not be recycled.

It was like leading the family pet to a kill shelter to get put down.

We were really sad to let the car go but it didnt make much sense keeping it and paying an extra tax every time we needed to go out in the car somewhere.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its almost always worth the money. Where else would you get a car of known provenance, that you know formsure has been driven sensibly and maintained properly, for a measly £700?

You can't.

So I reckon you chose sensibly.

Is it the original Mk1 Zafira? I quite liked them. Very comfortable, very practical, didn't drive too badly, did exactly what it said on the tin.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Don’t quibble about the repair bills for our Pugeot (not that they hit £700 yet), as have had it from new. Just about whatever I pay will be less than the money lost when I drive a new one off the forecourt.

Enjoy your ‘new’, old car :-)

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Is it the original Mk1 Zafira?
Yep, a 2002 model. A couple of mot's ago, it failed on the exhaust system. For a complete exhaust system, it only cost around £250, which surprise me. When it was new, someone mentioned that it cost over a thousand for a complete system. Guess with age, the demand for exhausts increases, but the price goes down as they are mass produced.

Very versatile cars with the 7 seats,especially as we had 4 children.

I became "Dad's " taxi service for my daughter and their many friends when they wanted lifts late at night.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don’t quibble about the repair bills for our Pugeot (not that they hit £700 yet), as have had it from new. Just about whatever I pay will be less than the money lost when I drive a new one off the forecourt.

Enjoy your ‘new’, old car :-)
Aye, it does leave me scratching my head when someonenis faced with a large repair bill, then decide the car isn't worth it, then buy a new car where one or two monthly repayments would have paid for the repairs on the old one. The justification some people trot out is very bizarre, even more bizarre when they moan that they have to work until they are eleventy-eaight to pay for it all.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've mentioned before that our 2nd car is now a 20 Yr old Zafira. Had from new and done us proud. Only used now as a load carrier, especially taking the bike to events, so only does a few thousand each year.

Anyway, the last few mot's has identified advisories on the shock absorbers and rear coil springs. But I have lived with the car bouncing up and down. However, this year, decided to have them replaced. Always a dilemma paying out almost £700 when the car is probably not worth that.

But I am amazed at the difference it's made. It drives like anew car again!

I remember my old Mk2 cortina failing its MOT on shock absorbers. I thought the garage were taking the piss to drum up work. I replaced them myself to spite them. 'kinell, it drove like a Ferrari afterwards (roadholding not speed obviously)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My mums old mini failed its MOT on account of the top of the rear shock making an appearance through the boot floor :laugh:.

We kept it around for a while and I used to drive it around the field, but only clockwise!

Top Bottom