Shoe for touring (and general cycling) - non SPD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joanna

I'm having huge trouble trying to find a suitable cycling shoe.

I don't have SPD pedals, but have a toe clip and strap, which, for the time being I'm more than happy with.

My pedals are slightly spikey, so when I just wear trainers, the spike gradually starts to make an indentation in the sole of the shoe - and it starts to really hurt after a while.

I'm doing LeJog in June, and so I really want to find a shoe that is going to be comfortable for long days in the saddle. Ideally, they should be breathable, waterproof (or able to fit overshoes on), and stiff for maximum efficiency.

I'm failing so far in my search… my usual converse-like shoe aren't going be any good - they are too flexible for one thing. I could change the pedals of course for less spiky ones, which will sort out one problem, but I'm really after proper cycling shoes...

Any suggestions would be very very welcome!!

Thanks

Jo

vickster

Legendary Member
Something like a Specialized Tahoe?

L14M

Über Member
Hiking shoes? I recently got a pair of regatta hiking shoes for £30 from TK max. Tough sole, water proof etc. I use them for working around the airfield and general out door stuff, but after a weekend of solid abuse use they've held up really well!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I have a pair of Shimano MTB shoes which look like trainers but with a stiff sole and cleats. The bottom is flat as the cleats are recessed so you can walk. Don't know if they are still available though. Hiking shoes may not fit into your straps.

Kies

some mtb cycling shoes, without a cleat would be best. the sole is stiffer, and will help in power transfer to the pedals, without flexing

For every day use I have a pair of Karrimor's, which cost about £20- 25 but for touring I use a pair of Walsh waffles soles, these were designed for trail and fell running, but I have found them ideal for bike touring. Only problem is that the only place I was able to source them was Blands in Kendal.

Why not get a pair of SPD shoes, but leave the cleat covers in place?

1271172340157-gcffe1u88qw9-399-80.jpg

I personally wouldn't bother with waterproof in June. I cycled in Scotland last August, and got soaked - even walking through standing water at one point. When it stopped raining, my shoes dried quickly enough.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Why not get a pair of SPD shoes, but leave the cleat covers in place?
Even better would be to get SPD shoes with cut-outs for the cleats, and not do the cutting. That will leave the sole waterproof, unlike a bolt-on cover.
Something like the Specialized Tahoe (as mentioned above)

buddha

Veteran
I prefer the Specialized Sonoma shoe. Less aggressive looking than the tahoe. And has 3 velcro straps, rather than 1 strap+laces.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have both, the Sonoma sole seems less stiff. I initially bought them to use with flat pedals but got crampy toes especially if standing. Now cleated I wear them more than the tahoes which need adjusting. Can't however as there's flipping chewing gum clogging up the bolt holes. At least in the mans version, Sonoma comes up bigger had wider than the tahoe

I cycle, tour and walk in my hiking boots - they are a soft leather boot, lined with goretex which is great for keeping your feet dry (up until the rain is heavy enough to run down your legs into them that is!). Used them on our attempted world tour as well as out other tours - so around 18 months of touring in them and they were excellent. In warmer weather I go over to a hiking shoe. I use really grippy/spikey pedals (MKS MT Lite pedals) on all 3 of my bikes with toe clips & straps and have had no issues with them damaging the soles - now using them to push hilleberg tent pegs into the ground repeatedly is another matter entirely!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Could I suggest another tack?

If the little studs on the pedals are causing a problem, perhaps platform pedals, with clips and straps, are the answer? Something like this?

I use to run similar Shimano platforms with clips and straps, and they were comfortable with any shoes, because the pressure was spread over the whole of my insteps, not on a couple of 'rungs' - and there were no studs (they're not really needed if you're using clips and straps anyway).

In fact, they're still in my bits box (since I converted all my bikes to SPDs) and could be available....

Top Bottom