Shoes and Pedals help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eoin Rua

Looking for some info/help regarding clip in shoes and corresponding pedals...

Just bought a pair of Specialized road shoes from ebay (know what you may be thinking, but I'm a student on a seriously tight budget!) so I was wondering if I bought these Keo Pedals http://www.evanscycles.com/products/outland/keo-spd-pedal-ec023320 which come with cleats will it be an easy case of adding/replacing the cleats on the shoes to make them compatible with the pedals?

Also, the pedal description mentions that the cleats give a '6 degree float', what does this mean exactly?

Granted they may not be the best pedals in the world but they're my first ones so they'll do for time being!

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! :biggrin:

Howard

Eoin Rua said:
Just bought a pair of Specialized road shoes from ebay (know what you may be thinking, but I'm a student on a seriously tight budget!) so I was wondering if I bought these Keo Pedals http://www.evanscycles.com/products/outland/keo-spd-pedal-ec023320 which come with cleats will it be an easy case of adding/replacing the cleats on the shoes to make them compatible with the pedals?

If they are road specific shoes, they should have SPD-SL mounts: you shouldn't have any problems fitting Look cleats. Do you have model number? Worth typing it into google to check what they support.

For fitting a quick google search yielded this guide:

http://www.pccglobal.com/outdoors/cycling/PedalCleatInstall/index.php

RE float: the degrees of flloat describe the range in which your shoe is free to move when clipped in. Generally float is a good thing because it allows your foot to move naturally whilst pedelling. Some riders don't run any float however so it's not for everyone. Your mileage may vary. IIRC Look do several keo cleats with differing degrees of float.

emulsifier12

I am using the Look Keo Sprint pedals with gray cleats which have 4.5 degrees float and that amount of movement is great.

It allows your heel to move left / right as the front of your foot stays put. Think of it as standing on the ball of your foot and swinging your heel left and right.

Look pedals use the following colours / float
Red cleat 9 degrees of float
Gray cleat 4.5 degrees of float
Black 0 degrees float (fixed)

Most look keo pedals are sold with gray cleats that have 4.5 degrees of float. Do your shoes have the same mounting holes as the shimano ones in the picture? If so then they will be compatible with the Outland Keo ones you are looking at.

Just remember to practice clipping in and out (turning shoe outwards) before you go out on the road with them.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Be interested to know what these pedals are like - at 19.99 they look like great value. You usually have to pay a bit of a premium for white pedals! As said above just check your shoes are capable of taking road cleats - usually 3 holes in a triangular arrangement.

OP
OP
Eoin Rua

Eoin Rua

Cheers guys, appreciate the advice!

Heard good things about the Outland pedals, but even if it turns out that they're not perfect they're cheap and it's really to get me started and through the summer till I get some money together.

Top Bottom