Shoes/Numb feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChristinaJL

I seem to be having a problem with my shoes/feet at the moment. On my road bike I have specialized womens' shoes and shimano spd 3 bolt cleats. Both feet seem to go numb after about 15 minutes, not good. :sad: I've tried the cleats in all sorts of positions and even been to the LBS and they re-fitted them for me, but no luck.

Didn't seem to have the same problem with my old time pedals and specialized shoes. Funny that, because my shoes (6 mths old) are exactly the same brand/model as my new ones, except a newer version obviously. :becool:

I'm debating trying some speedplay light-action pedals and some of the ladies sidi shoes. Except nobody round here stocks sidi, so I can't try any on. I have quite wide feet, so need to try them on, as well as the men's versions I think.

On my touring bike I have shimano shoes and M324 pedals - I get a bit of a hot spot on the part of my feet where the clip-in is, but not as much numbness.

Any suggestions would be most welcome please. :smile:

mr Mag00

rising member
Hi

I have a similar problem with my shoes, when I first start out I have the toe straps quite loose. I also did some research on the www and I found that some of the problem is brought about by the toes remaining flat and the shimano shoes i have came with a small pad which went under the toes, under the shoe foot insert and also one which raised the arch this spreads the toes and obviously lifts the arch and removes the numbness and hot toe syndrome. It maybe worth looking at ortho shoe inserts

julbags

Are they Spesh shoes with the three velcro straps? I would get numbness from those shoes as I was prone to cranking the straps far too tight, particularly the lower two. These are the BG MTB shoes (sport and expert) which are pretty much the same as the road shoes except the tread and a slight bendability at the toe. Interestingly I bought a newer version of the BG Sport shoe last year and found it a lot tighter and more uncomfortable than the older but same model, same size.

I have wide feet and didn't get on with the Spesh women's shoes at all, I find the men's specialized shoes fit me better and they don't seem to be too big at the heel. All my bikes have EggBeater Candy pedals on so small cleat, I used to get a little hot foot on the road bike after a few hours but the carbon soles of the BG expert seems to be curing that (as long as I don't crank the straps down hard).

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

julbags said:
Are they Spesh shoes with the three velcro straps?

nope, the ones with two velcro straps and one rachet. :biggrin:

Went out this morning for under an hour and the problem was worse if anything. :wacko: My knees felt bad. Anyway, I put my brooks saddle back on when I got home and that cured the knee problem, will see if it effects the numbness, but I don't think it will.

I'll definately try out some mens' shoes, LBS have plenty of them, just not womens.

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

mr Mag00 said:
It maybe worth looking at ortho shoe inserts

thanks, I'd not thought of that, definately worth having a look, I know specialized do some, but not sure which ones would be best. :biggrin:

julbags

ChristinaJL said:
nope, the ones with two velcro straps and one rachet. ;)

Ah! I stay well away from ratchets I just can't seem to stop myself cranking them down so tight I cut my circulation off :smile:. Only thing I can suggest apart from trying the men's is to have them a lot looser than you think to start with (which you're probably already doing). I have to be most careful with the middle strap on mine, equivalent of the one under the ratchet for you, as this seems to cause the most problems if its too tight. Probably something to do with my foot shape. I couldn't get my feet into those shoes at all unless I went about two sizes up, then they were too long. I didn't actually think my feet were as wide as that :ohmy:

I have an old set of Spesh blue inserts in my MTB shoes but just the normal insoles in my road ones, even the bog standard Specialized insoles have metatarsal buttons to spread you foot bones in them I think, though not much in the way of arch support.

Top Bottom