Shoes or Pedals or both?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikeoupe

I've been into cycling (in the amateur sense) on and off for several years but recently getting back into it a bit more seriously. I'm noticing that 5 or 6 miles into a ride I'm suffering from some numbness in the outer tow areas of my feet which can be relieved by taking my feet off the pedals.
I'm wearing regular soft soled trainers and the pedals are a basic MTB style flat thing from Wellgo which I appreciate isn't ideal but I've not experienced it on previous bikes.
I'm not so serious at this stage as to want to go the full clipless route but I am interested in firstly stopping the numbness and perhaps improving efficiency in the process.
I'm doing between 10 & 12 miles most days on a road biased hybrid covering a combination of track and road for fun an fitness

Could anyone give me a few experienced pointers on how to resolve the current issue? and perhaps any footwear / pedal pointers that spring to mind :smile:

Thanks
Mike

It might be the soft soled trainers. Wear the stiffest shoes you can find, skate shoes tend to work well and there is usually a good selection in tk max. The pedals should be fine, more likely to be a shoe problem.

e-rider

crappy member
You really should move to clipless pedals and shoes - you will not look back and I'm sure it will solve your problems. A cheapest set of m520 shimano clipless pedals with some suitable shoes should only set you back about £60 in total if you shop about on-line for a bargain.

OP
OP
Mikeoupe

Mikeoupe

Many thanks for your replies guys.

I found the time to visit my LBS this morning and returned with a set of Shimano PD-A530 pedals and a pair of Shimano SH-M075 shoes. The shoes are an entry level SPD product and the pedals single sided clipless with a regular platform on the other side. Just the job at this stage!

I've only done 6 miles with them fitted and everything was significantly improved! I'm surprised just HOW much difference the clip connection makes, tremendous. I just need to spend a bit of time getting the cleats adjusted.

Mike

Bigtwin

Mikeoupe said:
Many thanks for your replies guys.

I found the time to visit my LBS this morning and returned with a set of Shimano PD-A530 pedals and a pair of Shimano SH-M075 shoes. The shoes are an entry level SPD product and the pedals single sided clipless with a regular platform on the other side. Just the job at this stage!

I've only done 6 miles with them fitted and everything was significantly improved! I'm surprised just HOW much difference the clip connection makes, tremendous. I just need to spend a bit of time getting the cleats adjusted.

Mike
You might want to losen the spring tension on the pedals for a while till you get a bit more comfortable with them. With SPDs you don't need them welded to your feet to be effective, as they are very directional on the pull.

OP
OP
Mikeoupe

Mikeoupe

Thanks for the pointer.

Despite the obvious improvements it was all feeling a bit alien & fiddly today, I'm sure by this time next week after some tweaking there'll be no looking back!

Mike

e-rider

crappy member
give them a real chance - many people take weeks or months to fully adapt to clipless pedals - it's worth the effort in the end though. happy cycling

Radius

SHREDDER
Mikeoupe said:
I'm surprised just HOW much difference the clip connection makes, tremendous.

Yep, I found that when I just went clipless. Good when riding fixed too, makes speed control feel even more like second nature...but that's a bit OT

OP
OP
Mikeoupe

Mikeoupe

Since fitting (wearing) these I've covered around 60 miles and am really happy with them, no going back!
Oh, and I've only fallen over twice (which I assume is compulsory when new to clipless pedals? :smile: )

Top Bottom