Shop to avoid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I dont knock halfords as i usually get compentent service from them but on this occasion i have to , this is a copy of an email i just sent to head office about their Swadlincote branch .

last Saturday i picked up my new boardman team carbon from halfords stores and at first glance it looked ok .On my second ride i found out it would not get 1st gear as the low stop on the rear deraillier had not been set correctly and today i noticed that the adjuster from rear cable tension looked odd.On further inspection it had been screwed so far out by whoever set up the gears initially that it was only just in the hole and at an angle.This could have fell off at any time potentially damaging the deraillier, mech hanger, wheels or even the frame .As i have been servicing my own bikes for many years i was able to disconnect the cable, screw in the adjuster correctly which gave m a good 3 mm of cable that had not been pulled far enough when the bike was set up.
I am frankly disgusted with this level of service, when i raised the 1st issue in store i was fobbed off with a " well it can be different on the stand "

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Without trying to sound like an arse (but probably failing). You should probably have proof read it before you sent it. Personally, I would have suggested a way that they could resolve the situation, for example, promising staff training.

Lonestar

Veteran
Although I don't use Halfords they aren't the only bike shop to make a mistake.One of my work colleagues recently had an accident because the shop which repaired his bike did not fit the front mudguard back correctly.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Without trying to sound like an arse (but probably failing). You should probably have proof read it before you sent it. Personally, I would have suggested a way that they could resolve the situation, for example, promising staff training.
Yea like that's going to happen.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I dont knock halfords as i usually get compentent service from them but on this occasion i have to , this is a copy of an email i just sent to head office about their Swadlincote branch .

last Saturday i picked up my new boardman team carbon from halfords stores and at first glance it looked ok .On my second ride i found out it would not get 1st gear as the low stop on the rear deraillier had not been set correctly and today i noticed that the adjuster from rear cable tension looked odd.On further inspection it had been screwed so far out by whoever set up the gears initially that it was only just in the hole and at an angle.This could have fell off at any time potentially damaging the deraillier, mech hanger, wheels or even the frame .As i have been servicing my own bikes for many years i was able to disconnect the cable, screw in the adjuster correctly which gave m a good 3 mm of cable that had not been pulled far enough when the bike was set up.
I am frankly disgusted with this level of service, when i raised the 1st issue in store i was fobbed off with a " well it can be different on the stand "

On the other hand, you say you service your bikes yourself, i would have gone over the whole bike and checked every nut bolt and screw. They are slagged of on here so often, you should know better.:okay:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Halfords' knowledge of bikes is as limited as the range of bikes they sell. However, I do feel guilty saying as that as I do go there for tyres. Evans or good small local bike shops for me if the bike needs attention that's beyond my abilities.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Given i have already been back 3 times with pannier bag / rack combo they sold me that dont work together frankly i am past giving a brass spanner .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

On the other hand, you say you service your bikes yourself, i would have gone over the whole bike and checked every nut bolt and screw. They are slagged of on here so often, you should know better.:okay:
I do but given i have a full time job , young kids and a wife who has health issues sometimes i have to make time to ride let alone check every single thing.

Kajjal

Guru
I only buy cheap parts from Halfords using my BC membership. I would not let them near a decent bike it is too risky, there are some very friendly and helpful people there but varies greatly between stores.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I always say when it comes to Halfords its a matter of luck, its just so variable. They undoubtedly have some good people but what probably happened was 'Darren's our bike expert but he was off and Toby checked your bike over but he came over from auto parts and he hasn't finished his training yet'.

Tangoup51

I worked at halfords for my first job quite a while ago now; I worked in the bikehut department and was already aware of its reputation as being a hit & miss.

My main job was to scavenge and find the bikes that were due to be assembled in the warehouses and build them myself.
I spent about a solid 6 months on a temporary contract, ranging summer-Christmas give or take. I built about 800 bikes I estimate before I was finished there.
Along with alot of customer encounters and what not.

I also did some on-spot repairs as I was competent enough to do them. But I have to say; Halfords from what I experienced - Well, team there were a mix & match.

Like, there was one guy who had a "mild" interest in bikes but had passed Halfords mechanic test malarkey so he got an "all clear" to work in the bike shop,
(yes, there is some kind of training scheme you have to go through.)

then there was another guy - a guru, who worked in a Very successful local bike shop and by worked I mean ran it by himself.

Then there's the mid-range people there, somewhere between a passionate guru and a lazy arse who was told by a deprived test that he could do the job.

Despite the mix & match, we had a pretty good regime going.
I'd build the bikes to the point where everything was snug and tight but basic tuning needed to be done. Gearing and brakes. - I wasn't allowed to do that for some other safety reason - but another guy was and so the bike would go through Phase 1 of being assembled and Phase 2 of being tuned-in.

Phase 3 was usually the customer wearing it in and that's how it went. - That said, smooth operation wasn't always the case.
We had numerous complains and incidents that i'll mention here without breaking into an excessive story.

Customers complained about bikes being scratched. this one I agree with, it wasn't because of the build process but the storage process.

We hung the bikes front wheel up on a hook attached to a overhead railing, bikes got too close to eachother and pedals started clapping against frames.
To combat this we stopped putting the pedals on the bike, until customer of said bike was at the front desk ready to pick it up.

Hanging the bikes up bothered me, It scratched the front wheel somewhat getting it up there and I never liked the amount of stress put through the fork.

I never liked how we had to "turn" the handlebars parallel to the frame so it's easier for storage; a colleague of mine knocked a customers bike (That was about to be picked up!) and the bars were still folded in; the bike smashed on the ground shattering its carbon fork.
Worryingly, this was only found out AFTER the customer made a complaint about a noise from the fork. That could of been one hella law suit right there.

So my only take-away from my experience is this; only let them give your bike in a box and go out the front door.

screenman

Legendary Member
Waste of time sending an email. recorded delivery letter to the Chairman and addressed both on the envelope and the letter inside with the words " Chairmans complaint" do not ask me why it works but I bet you a pint it does so every single time no matter which company you write to.

Top Bottom