Short Holiday in Holland,advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
The trip is coming together nicely. I've booked flights early Friday to late Monday to give us 4 days of decent cycling. I've booked a few hotels (with free cancellation just in case of change!) so at the minute it looks like

Day 1 - Airport to Rotterdam
Day 2 - Rotterdam to Utrecht
Day 3 - Utrecht to Huizen
Day 4 - Huizen to Amsterdam then to airport

Where we'll go between cities and for how long, will be planned closer to the time but as long as we make our hotel each night everything else is up for grabs.

A lot more than the £80 you would have to pay Easyjet, but if you just opted for a standard Dutch bike,then that would cost less than what you would pay Easyjet!

I've found road bike hire in Amsterdam for £45 per day but that means going into Amsterdam from the airport, then riding out west afterward. I'm veering towards bike bags and bringing our own bikes. Apparently the airport store bike bags for £6 per night.

Delft is a great little town, would definitely go there again, Amsterdam is not what it used to be.

I'll 'Delftinately' take that on board and see if we can plan that into our travels.
Edit: I see it's between The Hague and Rotterdam so that works well. The canal looks to be a good route on into Rotterdam too.

Last edited:
Beware of websites that say you have booked hotels with free cancellation, on Rip off Britian this morning they highlighted when people have booked on the well known hotel booking sites they find when they go to cancel because of change to plans they find they had not been given that option and when asked to check the email they had received in the small print they had indeed been given the none free cancellation option.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
The last couple of times that I used a booking website I paid the hotel direct on arrival. Do they take the money if you don't turn up?

Sixmile

Veteran
Beware of websites that say you have booked hotels with free cancellation, on Rip off Britian this morning they highlighted when people have booked on the well known hotel booking sites they find when they go to cancel because of change to plans they find they had not been given that option and when asked to check the email they had received in the small print they had indeed been given the none free cancellation option.

I'll definitely check this up. I've used this booking site before, and have cancelled rooms with no issue previously. Hopefully though, our plans won't change but I always make a point of paying an extra tenner or so to have the option of cancellation if something does change our plans between now and then.

The last couple of times that I used a booking website I paid the hotel direct on arrival. Do they take the money if you don't turn up?

All the rooms I have booked are pay on arrival. You have to provide a card at the time of booking which I imagine will be used to collect the fee if there is a no show.

U

User169

I'll 'Delftinately' take that on board and see if we can plan that into our travels.
Edit: I see it's between The Hague and Rotterdam so that works well. The canal looks to be a good route on into Rotterdam too.

Delft is an easy 30 min ride from Rotterdam airport.

From Rotterdam, you can follow the lek river pretty much all the way to Utrecht.

Sixmile

Veteran
[QUOTE 5113776, member: 45"]Maastricht is well worth visiting (and has the best coffee shop I've ever visited) But I think it's some way from your intended route.[/QUOTE]

Yea, way too far off for a coffee I'm afraid.

U

User169

Yea, way too far off for a coffee I'm afraid.

You don't go to Dutch coffee shops to get coffee.

snorri

Legendary Member
You don't go to Dutch coffee shops to get coffee.
I had a letter before christmas from a relative (aged about 80) regaling me with his travel experiences of 2017 including his failure to understand why the coffee shop assistant was unwilling to sell him and his wife the cake of their choice with their coffee:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
U

User169

[QUOTE 5114422, member: 259"]Make sure it's in one of the hilly bits though[/QUOTE]

We’re only 5 meters below sea level!

Top Bottom