Short, medium or long cage rear derailleurs ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The scenario would be , 9spd. cassette and triple crankset . Is there a total no-no for any combination of derailleur / crank or is there only one obvious (except to me) choice?
Any and all advice/opinions gratefully received !

vickster

Legendary Member
How many teeth on the biggest cog on cassette? What brand, Shimano, SRAM, Campag, assume Shimano if a triple?

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Really depends on the biggest cog on the cassette . If it's north of 32t then a long cage is best but you could run a close ratio with a short cage which would arguably give you the snappiest gear changes and be better to maintain your cadence.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
How many teeth on the biggest cog on cassette? What brand, Shimano, SRAM, Campag, assume Shimano if a triple?

34 teeth not sure of the brand it was on the wheel set when l bought them .There are the letters HJ on the latest ring if that means anything ?
Really depends on the biggest cog on the cassette . If it's north of 32t then a long cage is best but you could run a close ratio with a short cage which would arguably give you the snappiest gear changes and be better to maintain your cadence.

34 teeth thanks for the info. re the short cage.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran

34 teeth

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran

Many apologies , was trying to do two things at the same time (not my strongest ability) . It is an old Campagnolo cassette and the big ring has 25 teeth. And on the chainring the teeth are 48 , 39, 30 also old Campagnolo

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Defo a long cage. A shorter cage will work with the smaller chainwheels but on the largest you can most likely say hello to a broken rear derailleur.
Defo a long cage. A shorter cage will work with the smaller chainwheels but on the largest you can most likely say hello to a broken rear derailleur.

Many apologies , was trying to do two things at the same time (not my strongest ability) . It is an old Campagnolo cassette and the big ring has 25 teeth. And on the chainring the teeth are 48 , 39, 30 also old Campagnolo

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran

Top Bottom