Short tour in Holland/Belgium - recommendations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don’t try French outside Brussels, by the way, nor Dutch in the French parts. Also, avoid too much beer!
It's OK to try French if they don't speak English, but try English first if you don't speak Flemish/Dutch. Watch the strengths on the beers!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not cycled, but I can confirm that Ghent, Bruges, and Ypres are all lovely. I also aquired a taste for Belgian beer and have to concede that the UK is only no 2 beer nation, and by a large margin too

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the advice. We have booked trains and hotels.

Does anyone have a good website for understanding the Belgium cycle-path network - preferably in English :smile:

I understand that each junction is numbered -:
"
Cycle Networks
In some regions of Belgium particularly the northern Flemish speaking provinces they have now installed a system of cycle network routes known as the 'Fietsroutesnetwerk'. This is a system of marking each intersection of the cycle network with a unique number or 'Knoopunt. Signs are then placed along the route giving you directions to the next number intersection of the cycle routes that radiate from the last intersection. At each intersection there is a map showing you all the numbered intersections, once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy to navigate, you just look at the map, decide your route, note down the numbers and then follow the well marked signs. It's basically like cycling by numbers!"
from https://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/belgium.shtml

Do I need to know anything else ?

Thanks
Andrew

Thanks for all the advice. We have booked trains and hotels.

Does anyone have a good website for understanding the Belgium cycle-path network - preferably in English :smile:

I understand that each junction is numbered -:
"
Cycle Networks
In some regions of Belgium particularly the northern Flemish speaking provinces they have now installed a system of cycle network routes known as the 'Fietsroutesnetwerk'. This is a system of marking each intersection of the cycle network with a unique number or 'Knoopunt. Signs are then placed along the route giving you directions to the next number intersection of the cycle routes that radiate from the last intersection. At each intersection there is a map showing you all the numbered intersections, once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy to navigate, you just look at the map, decide your route, note down the numbers and then follow the well marked signs. It's basically like cycling by numbers!"
from https://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/belgium.shtml

Do I need to know anything else ?

Thanks
Andrew
Planning a route with the knoopunten can be a frustrating task.
Try this http://www.fietsroute.org/cycle-node-planner

Handy hints:
look behind you at junctions etc. to check that the number you are coming from is on the other side of the road - it helps to identify if a sign is missing or has been altered by jokers. It doesn't happen often, but it can happen.
Watch out also in urban areas, sometimes a parked car, van/bus can be obscuring a sign.
Remember, these are not the most direct routes from A to B so direction can be counter intuitive.
The disadvantage is if you miss a sign, you are lost.
OSmand maps (free app, download up to 5 maps free, covering NL & Belgium easily) can be used to show cycle routes and knooppunt numbers. Works offline and can be a handy resource if you find yourself lost.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Don't bother with Osmand. Get the Knoopunkt app. It will tell you, in English, that a point is approaching and what the number of the next point is that you've planned to. It's very light on battery use on a phone.

The Knoopunkt system is extremely effective. It's a series of points on the road network, each one numbered from 01 to 99 (and occasionally beyond). At each point is a set of arrows pointing to different numbers. On intermediate roads there are confirmation signs. It's a bit ropey in towns, where "follow your nose" is pretty effective, but in the country it works well and picks good cycling routes, even if they are sometimes a bit longer than necessary.

Downloaded the app - looks a bit confusing for an old soul like me, but I am getting the hang of it - thanks :smile:
There are several different apps, some better than others. They are handy for putting in begin and end points and culaculating the route between, but to make your own route is difficult without an overall view.
Be careful. I've tried different online planners and have yet to find one that gives a route without an error, whether that's omitting a number or inserting an extra one. It's not a big deal but can throw some people.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
There are several different apps, some better than others. They are handy for putting in begin and end points and culaculating the route between, but to make your own route is difficult without an overall view.
Be careful. I've tried different online planners and have yet to find one that gives a route without an error, whether that's omitting a number or inserting an extra one. It's not a big deal but can throw some people.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

U

User169

I’m staying at my Belgian neighbors place at the beach. Just went to investigate the bikes and found his last route.....

1F7057B8-ED5F-4DC7-BA31-53ADEAFDD821.jpeg

JohnE

Ypres has been mentioned a few times. If you are in that area, try to visit the Menin Gate for the Last Post ceremony, every night at 8:00pm (check that !). A very moving remembrance ceremony.

Top Bottom