Shortening flat bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

I’m tempted to take a hacksaw to the bars on my hybrid. They’re those really wide bars from MTBs, about 72cm I think. Great for control on MTBs but this bike goes on nothing gnarlier than a towpath. It would make it easier to get through annoying A gates, a bit less annoying to chain up at work and possibly feel a bit sportier. Also maybe a bit comfier on a long ride.

So what do I need to consider?

Take off grips, shifters and brake levers, or loosen and slide toward the middle.
Measure (twice), hacksaw or dremel, then a file to tidy up edges.
Replace levers and shifters then grips and done?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I’m tempted to take a hacksaw to the bars on my hybrid. They’re those really wide bars from MTBs, about 72cm I think. Great for control on MTBs but this bike goes on nothing gnarlier than a towpath. It would make it easier to get through annoying A gates, a bit less annoying to chain up at work and possibly feel a bit sportier. Also maybe a bit comfier on a long ride.

So what do I need to consider?

Take off grips, shifters and brake levers, or loosen and slide toward the middle.
Measure (twice), hacksaw or dremel, then a file to tidy up edges.
Replace levers and shifters then grips and done?

If the bars are ally then a plumbers slice will do the job. This is £6.50
IMG_4591.png

Tape around the bar to get a straight edge.
I did this with no problem. Measure 3 x , cut once. File edges and finish with emery cloth.
If you have bars with bends ( like my On One Mary) make sure to leave enough flat for grips.

Venod

Eh up
Move the grips inwards before you cut, find the position you want, make sure the same amount of bar sticks out both sides, scribe round the bar next to the grips, then cut, I just use a hacksaw but the tube cutter is a good call.

Last edited:
I have thought about this - basically my normal riding positions lave about 2 inches outside my hands so I reckon an inch of each side would do no harm

does reduce bar real estate though and on an ebike the extra space needed for the controller has to be taken into account (especially as I have 3 different lights!!)

Yes no need for new tools,

I might not try doing this on real weiqht weenie bars which are butted, but these don't sound like that kind.

Top Bottom