Shorter chain, any issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had to remove links (2 links) because of a damaged link. What are the possible problems or differences in performance.

Brommyboy

Über Member
You may well no longer be able to get the chain to fit around the two largest, sprocket and chain ring, so miss that gear out! This is a usual bodge for a broken chain while out on a ride. Your LBC should be able to provide you will some spare links: they have them when they fit a new chain.

e-rider

crappy member
depending on how the chain length was originally setup, you might now have trouble in large chainring, large sprocket combo - try it. If the chain is very tight and the rear mech stretched forward too much then don't use this gear until you get a new chain as you will damage stuff!

Gatters

whilst it's quite right to have enough chain to go around the two largest cogs, ....unless you have a single chainring up front you wouldn't ever have the chain running around these two anyway

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
As above.

You should post a picture of the bike in as low a gear combo as it can go with the links creaking under the strain of holding together and await the hilarious 'chain is a bit slack' comments.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I had to do exactly that yesterday when the joining link snapped. It's a bodge to get you home and I just considered the big ring as out-of-bounds. I still had the full range available on the cassette, and it got me back at reduced speed.

whilst it's quite right to have enough chain to go around the two largest cogs, ....unless you have a single chainring up front you wouldn't ever have the chain running around these two anyway
Is there away the shifter/rd knows you only have one front chainring and doesn't allow it (and I don't know about) ;), because I know I have ended up in this combo on more than one occasion :whistle:
As above, though most modern RD's are a little bit more flexible.

Top Bottom