Shorts again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Ok, I'm looking at expanding upon my shorts collection.
I don't like padding, I always find it makes it more uncomfortable. I also refuse to wear lycra.
I have a pair of karrimor baggy shorts which are cycling specific (I don't use the padded liner anymore).
However I find my Ronhill classic running shorts far more breezy and comfortable. Does anyone have any recommended shorts that don't have padding, involve lycra and are similar to the Ronhills? They don't have to be cycling specific ones.

bonj2

no padding, dont' involve lycra - but ARE cycling specific - isn't that a bit of a contradiction in terms?

bonj2

just get down next and get some cargo shorts, much better choice.
failing that, enduros - but dont' see what would be cycle specific about them, just 'cos they're from wiggle...

buddha

Veteran
I cut a pair of Ronhill Bikesters (longs), an inch or two above the knee, to make some non-padded, slightly baggy overshorts.
Pretty cheap at around £14 a pair.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
bonj said:
no padding, dont' involve lycra - but ARE cycling specific - isn't that a bit of a contradiction in terms?

Bonji, my love - I did say in my last sentence that they don't have to be cycling specific.:evil:
Anyways aren't those Endura Baggy things cycling specific, not lycra and you can take the padding out? They look quite heavy though for hot weather. I'm very tempted to get another pair of Ronhill running shorts, but then being the indecisive girly that I am I can't decide *which* pair of running shorts ........

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
fossyant said:
No padding.....how 'ard are you !!! :wacko: :angry:;)

Really 'ard - I have a Brooks B17 saddle that hasn't been "broken in" yet. :biggrin:. I've never actually found it all that uncomfortable actually despite being told it would be hell for the first 500 miles.

domtyler

Über Member
fossyant said:
No padding.....how 'ard are you !!! :angry: :biggrin:;)

And there's the rub! Maybe she has invested in a special ribbed version of the B17? :wacko:

bonj2

Plax said:
Bonji, my love - I did say in my last sentence that they don't have to be cycling specific.:wacko:
Anyways aren't those Endura Baggy things cycling specific, not lycra and you can take the padding out? They look quite heavy though for hot weather. I'm very tempted to get another pair of Ronhill running shorts, but then being the indecisive girly that I am I can't decide *which* pair of running shorts ........

oh sorry i thougth you said they DO have to be cycling specific.

the endura ones are class, got loads of pockets and you can take the liner out but why you'd want to i dont' know.

mootaineer

Plax said:
Ok, I'm looking at expanding upon my shorts collection.
I don't like padding, I always find it makes it more uncomfortable. I also refuse to wear lycra.
I have a pair of karrimor baggy shorts which are cycling specific (I don't use the padded liner anymore).
However I find my Ronhill classic running shorts far more breezy and comfortable. Does anyone have any recommended shorts that don't have padding, involve lycra and are similar to the Ronhills? They don't have to be cycling specific ones.

Would these be any good?
I saw it when I opened one of my subscription emails the other day...
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28164&PartnerID=1738

Don't know if it's too warm for this time of year though.

or these:
http://shop.ugosport.co.uk/product29820495catno3420495.html
http://shop.ugosport.co.uk/product8100495catno3420495.html

I personally prefer lycra...as it seems to make a real difference with wind resistance.
And no padding? :angry:

Tynan

Veteran
quite sure the padding aversion isn't due to something cheap or ill fitting? I use to ride without padding but I'm sold on it now although my first pair of shorts didn't impress me

mootaineer

Tynan said:
quite sure the padding aversion isn't due to something cheap or ill fitting? I use to ride without padding but I'm sold on it now although my first pair of shorts didn't impress me

Add to that...sometimes too much of a good thing isn't great either.
I tried 2 different pairs of Assos shorts once but the padding (although initially comfortable) is just too thick.
I now use less expensive (but nicer for my rear end) Giordana bibshorts.
It takes a while to work out what works best :laugh:

Top Bottom